Quantcast
Prefered steel for a deba?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prefered steel for a deba?

Prefered steel for a deba?

(Still) looking for a new deba and I've been wondering what people's preferences are when it comes to the steel. I've been tossing up between Blue 1, 2 and white 2, although this is more due to the particular items which are grabbing my attention as opposed to the steel.

Does anyone out there feel there are significant advantages going for one steel over the other when it comes to breaking down fish? Be it blue or white (and their respective grades), 01, 19c27, gin 3, v2, swedish etc..?

Cheers,
    Josh

For any single bevel knife I would only consider carbon.
    The reason is, when maintaining, I would go crazy with stone clogging all the time, when thinning stainless cladding, also, when sharpening stainless yanagis for others, I hated the feeling and response from the steel. Would never do that with too much joy at all.
    Other thing was the sharpness. I just like carbon feeling of sharp.

When it comes to carbon, I had a great experience with all of them actually.
    So I dont really have a preference when it comes to steel, but when I would invest in a knife in the Gesshin Hides price range, I would expect it to be spectacular. As simple as it gets, the less you pay, the less spectacular expect the steel to be

Saying that Shimatani offers similar[dont read: the same] feeling and great sharpness, also Yoshihiro is great value for money [little too soft for my likings], or Ichimonji Kichikuni.

And there is something in the Hide Gesshin let me tell you. Just a great made knife.

Don't think I can give a good comment for how well each steel holds up since as a home cook, the number of fish between stone sessions aren't that many.

But I do love my (spicy) swedish carbon steel debas, a hon deba and a mioroshi deba. The maker made them so nice to touch, to look at, and to use. Max still has one 180mm ready to ship.

My blue 1 ko-deba is a tough little bugger and also nicely made. I can't recommend the brand highly enough. Newly armed with DHL shipping, it is not a problem to get one from Jon.

White 2 ajikiri and white 2 big hon deba (that has now left for Melbourne) are easiest to sharpen. Both were from a lesser line, still nice to use.

Now that Leigh is opening up a store in ******** starting next Monday. Have a look at some of his offering. Lots of nice looking debas, he has, [more in store compared with his web store] albeit a little more pricier compared with international offering.

Which debas are you looking at comparing?

Was looking at Tanaka, Sugimoto, Jyunichi Takagi, yoshihiro, monzaburo and yoshikane. The Kaneshige blue and gin3 debas at **** look interesting too though, especially with the recent Konosuke price hike.
    I'm not an expert with a deba, so I think something as good at a Gesshin hide would be wasted on me. Money's a little tight at the moment too.

Size wise, I was leaning towards a 21cm, I figured being use to heavier knives I can probably learn to finesse a 21cm deba and we're breaking down some pretty big snapper at the moment, though I'm open to 18cm options too (Takagi, Yoshikane).

Off Tuesday, so I plan on stopping by Leigh's new store to have a look around. Do you happen to know if he carries any 21cm debas though?

Cheers,
    Josh

I think I might have seen one. He has quite a number of things not listed on the web.

Ha just noticed a famous suburb name around Melbourne is censored

Josh,

If you look at mozaburo white 2 deba, which is the same brand as my ajikiri, I would make a comment that its marking on the back:

is awfully similar to marking on the back of Sakai Ichimonji Kichikuni white 2 series, which I used to have:

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    How about 52100 from a reputable maker?

Quote Originally Posted by JKerr View Post
    I'm not an expert with a deba, so I think something as good at a Gesshin hide would be wasted on me. Money's a little tight at the moment too.

Josh
    I didnt meant like you have to buy it to be cool or something. I am sorry

Myself I use the cheapest decent option possible. I bought the Yoshihiro 21cm from Jon. Its much cheaper than "hongasumi" from the ebay shop.

Its a nice knife, just good to start with I think. After a while feels like it could be harder core, but performance-wise its very OK for the money.
    If youre short on money, get even cheaper knife, it will work

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burke View Post
    How about 52100 from a reputable maker?
    Certainly a possibility, though I think it would likely be stretching the budget a bit thin . For interests sake, other than yourself, how many other western craftsman have experience with single bevel knives. I can only really think of yourself, murray and Stephen Fowler that I've seen any real volume from.

@Schanop

Keen eyes noticing the resembelence between the sakai and the monzaburo, very interesting

Bieniek:

No need to apologise. Though I'm sure I would be a lot cooler if I owned a Gesshin Hide deba...perhaps not in reality, but probably here . The Yoshihiro at JKI are definitely tempted, especially with Jon doing international shipping again and he's carrying a few other items I'd be interested in. I'm not hugely worried about using a deba with "softer" steel as it'll likely be more forgiving to use and I sharpen pretty much every day or every 2nd day at the moment.

Cheers for all the feedback so far guys. Greatly appreciated.

Ta,
    Josh

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKerr View Post
    Certainly a possibility, though I think it would likely be stretching the budget a bit thin . For interests sake, other than yourself, how many other western craftsman have experience with single bevel knives. I can only really think of yourself, murray and Stephen Fowler that I've seen any real volume from.

Cheers for all the feedback so far guys. Greatly appreciated.

Ta,
    Josh
    yeh that is about the only makers I can think of too. I have a freind who works 52100 alot and does a few kitchen knive who could probably do you a good job at a reasonable cost.