Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prefered steel for a deba?

Stopped by Chef's Armoury today and had a look at their debas. Didn't have anything longer than 180, but that's the first time I've seen a "proper" deba in person and it's got me thinking, perhaps a 180 will be sufficient. My only previous deba was the Kanetsune 165 which felt way too small, so I figured a 180 wouldn't be a substantial enough jump, but having seen it next to a couple of Takayuki's, a Doi and some Kaiden debas, the difference is huge.

Certainly opens up a few more options.

Cheers,
    Josh

Sounded like you had a fun day.

Aye, Leigh's sorted out a really nice space. Could have spent longer just staring at some of the knives, particularly the ironwood R2 Takeshi Saji gyuto. Only opened yesterday so I think he's still moving a lot of stock down; stopping by next week to have a look at the Konosuke #6 when he gets them in

A lot of space dedicated to the bespoke knives, which certainly look the part. Even if it's pricey, it's nice to have a store carrying great (by KKF standards) knives in Melbourne.

Cheers,
    Josh

Konosuke #6 is nice. I handled it at the Sydney store. Still prefer sugimoto due to weight and handle design. Rat tail tang makes sugimoto blade a bit lighter and its balance a bit more forward. However, Konosuke #6 is a very nice offering, very nice finish (for Japanese cleaver, I think) at a competitive price. And don't forget Takeshi Saji cleaver.

His bespoke line is a bit of a stretch for bespoke meaning, though. I would say, the line is a custom order from a collection of blade styles and handles.

If you're into Japanese food. He's got some nice stuff. His dried natural wasabi power is probably the next best option to fresh wasabi.