Rehandling knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mano

Reaction score
Many of the re-handled wa and western knives posted here are beautiful and videos of making custom handles show how labor intensive the process is. Assuming a knife handle is in good condition with no fit or finish concerns are there other reasons for re-handling a knife other than aesthetics?

Well, some might prefer a stabilized wood that won't require the oiling/waxing routine that the normal ho handles require. Ho handles also tend to be really, really light, and some might like to have a heavier, larger handle to move the balance point back a bit on the knife. But it's mostly aesthetics, and the annoying feeling that you have a beautiful, artistic, well made blade, that you use with (usually from Japanese makers at least) a routine-sometimes-downright-ugly, albeit functional, handle.

Many of the re-handled wa and western knives posted here are beautiful and videos of making custom handles show how labor intensive the process is. Assuming a knife handle is in good condition with no fit or finish concerns are there other reasons for re-handling a knife other than aesthetics?

I like my handles with a little more shape and contor. I re-handle for comfort reasons, but the real reason is I don't like black handles.:cookingdinner:

Back