• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Shapton Glass + CCK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vertigo

Slightly Less Hooligan
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Up next are the two Shapton Glass splash-n-go stones (1k and 4k) that I kept in a toolbox at work. They've been used often and hard, but are very slow wearing and still have tons of life left. The 1k I bought new and the 4k I bought used from B/S/T about four months ago. I love the 1k, am not a super fan of the 4k, but together they make a perfectly passable edge for most things you'll need in a western kitchen.

1k on the left, 4k on the right:

shaptonsale1.jpg

shaptonsale2.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, the beveling along the edges is pretty damn sloppy; I used these stones to demonstrate sharpening and stone maintenance, then left them at work for company use. They suffered accordingly. Fixing the bevels would require removing a lot more material than is necessary for them to function, so I left them as is. Other than that, they're in great shape for what they've been through (they just don't look pretty).

1k - $25
4k - $35

As an added bonus: if anyone is interested in buying them both, I will throw in my "work beater" CCK:

cckbonus.jpg

Which has been humping prep at work on a daily basis for some time now, is used and abused with a good deal of the kurouchi removed and a number of scratches in the handle, but which is still ready to rock the socks off whatever you throw at it.

i wish i coulda read this post sooner. woulda bought the whole lot.

Back