Lets talk about SEAX

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
The Old English word seax means 'knife', but is specifically used today to describe large Anglo-Saxon single-edged knives made of iron. This seax was found in the River Thames at BatterseaSeax of Beagnoth

Anglo-Saxon, 9th-10th century AD

h1sFWl.jpg
[/IMG]

5WNHNl.jpg
[/IMG]

One inscription is a copy of the twenty-eight letters of the runic alphabet, known as the futhorc. The other inscription, also in Anglo-Saxon runes, reads 'Beagnoth' which is the name of the person who owned or made the knife.

the short Seax.
Y6vfgl.jpg
[/IMG]

dGgZUl.jpg
[/IMG]

0QyAwl.jpg
[/IMG]

Iron seax, with a straight cutting edge and sharply angled back, the tang offset from the blade. One face of the blade was inset with eight decorative panels, but two are now missing. They are separated from each other by short, vertical strips of twisted silver and copper wire. The panels are inlaid with silver and niello, except for one, which is inlaid with brass

and a few more
9BgaDl.jpg
[/IMG]

tFZGcl.jpg
[/IMG]

these were used in hunting and as a weapon in the 10th century .

here is a pommel that found near these Seax.
rGSR9l.jpg
[/IMG]

And pie and turkey 1920
cwimal.jpg
[/IMG]

Steeley, The one you have here are what are called "Broken Back seaxes" Some of the continental seaxes actually look more like conventional knives. These blade also were between 5mm and 12mm thick, they were definitely not lasers.lol My buddy Heath, who got the Hippo suji for his wedding is currently making a seax as his first knife. 13 in blade I think. These are one of my favorite knives. Oh, yeah, they were essentially wa handled, usually oval or round cross section.

Son you are a wealth of knowledge . I have seen it referred as that.
here is a museum replica.
V9LuQl.jpg
[/IMG]

very nice, probably, more a nobleman's piece as opposed to the everyday man. I see a lot of dug artifacts on that auction site and they appear to be more utility, kitchen everyday sort of knives, short and stout. The langseax, do to its shape seems to be more of a thrusting weapon then a swinging sword. They are almost always perfectly straight on the edge which makes them not very efficient as a swinging weapon. I think thrust , slash, thrust, slash over the top of your shield or around the edge of your foe's shield would be how they were used.

So this is like Ye Olde Englishman's kiritsuke, but for killing people/defense?
Now that's some serious seax appeal.

Back