Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Korean kitchen knives?

i ordered a couple "santokus" from him a couple weeks back.

might even consider the "sashimi" knife also, gonna have to wait for the knives to arrive first.

with this extremely slow post office we have and the fact that it's christmas season, it might as well just not arrive in the next 4 weeks.

ah well.

lol.

The "Korean kitchen knife made by master artisan who made daejanggeum knife" in the op does look kinda interesting. Reminds me of a Korean Bob Kramer blade shape with that high tip and tall heel.
    I found this: http://www.anvilfire.com/article.php...s/rr-spike.htm about railroad spikes. I'm guessing that he uses the spikes, because the rails themselves would be much lower carbon. Still, the spikes don't seem like they're super-great cutlery steel either. I'd be temped to purchase one of these if they where $100 or less, but at more than 2x than that, I think the price is a bit too high.
    The video is kinda cool though:

"I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Ok, so now where can I find one of those wide, curved blades the lady is using in this video? She makes it look very useful.

I saw this retailer when I first started looking for a knife and was contemplating getting one of the cheap chef knives just for the hell of it, but one of the pics of the connection of the blade to the handle looked mighty rough and I was worried it would get loose. I am interested in trying a cleaver but don't want to spend much on it as i don't know how i will like it, these guys have a few of them with varied symmetry, anyone know of a dirt cheap cleaver i could try without investing much? Ebay is bound to have plenty lol

Quote Originally Posted by Notaskinnychef View Post
    I saw this retailer when I first started looking for a knife and was contemplating getting one of the cheap chef knives just for the hell of it, but one of the pics of the connection of the blade to the handle looked mighty rough and I was worried it would get loose. I am interested in trying a cleaver but don't want to spend much on it as i don't know how i will like it, these guys have a few of them with varied symmetry, anyone know of a dirt cheap cleaver i could try without investing much? Ebay is bound to have plenty lol
    Go to your nearest Asian market, you should be able to find a cheap carbon or stainless cleaver without much difficulty.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

well the knives I ordered from ebay finally came in.

sorry for the picture heavy post. lol.

so anyway, these guys are hollow ground, the smaller "santoku" had a thick coating of varnish on the blade, probably the same varnish that was used on the handle. and the larger one had none, the handle on the larger one was bare and unfinished as well. doesn't come as sharp as i'd like, but then i bought it for peanuts so you get what you pay for.

the larger knife arrived bent, which is depressing. it didn't have packaging or a box or anything. both knives came in wrapped in bubble wrap and in a carton box. it arrived pretty fast though, it arrived december 20 (about 15 days) but i only got the claim stub last friday coz of my grandma's sister (long story)....

haven't cut anything up with these yet.

so i went ahead sharpening them, so i'm not sure if it's coz of the hollow grind or the "rustic" finish on the knife or it's just my bad sharpening skills.

some parts of the edge of the smaller knife almost became a bird's beak so i had to flatten it down and fix the whole grind and all that. i feel that these knives are gonna be pretty tough stuff. they're harder to sharpen than my aritsugu kyoto santoku. they have an incredibly toothy edge. they get a burr quite easily. who knows what hardness these guys clock at.

here's my incredibly uneven sharpening, lol:

Guessing that might be uneven grind rather than bad sharpening...looks all wavy.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Guessing that might be uneven grind rather than bad sharpening...looks all wavy.
    the grind on mine was definitely uneven.

the grind on mine was definitely uneven.
    i would want to believe that myself. =D

coz i don't sharpen that badly to make even my grind on the edge to get to look like that. lol.

=D