Quantcast
Saffron "harvest" - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saffron "harvest"

When I taught foodservice classes at Edyville State Penitentiary saffron was oneof the spices kept under lock and key in the supervisor's office along with yeast, raisins, and bananas. Concentrated saffron is poisonous, and could be used to coat a shiv.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    "Thread"?!?!?! An intentional pun?
    They are pretty, arent they?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Not necessarily true. Rhubarb stems are ok, the leaves are toxic. You can have poisonous parts on otherwise edible plants: if your potatoes have turned green, you want to trim it away before cooking because the green parts contain the toxin solanine. Time of year can even affect the toxicity of plants--you can eat the young spring leaves of pokeweed if you cook them; they'll be toxic later in the year
    Well, it is just a matter of levels. The amount of Solanine in a green potato is not harmful unless you are a very small person and eat a large potato skin and all that is very very green. However, when they turn green, I toss em, because there is an elevated amount of Solanine throughout, and I'd just rather have none. Same goes for Rhubarb(which is not conditional, it is statically toxic), the leaves just have a higher concentration of Oxalic Acid(even then, you'd have to eat an unreasonable amount to die), but the entire plant contains poisonous substances.

I'd say Rhubarb and Greening Potatoes are entirely toxic plants. Just staying under the level of direct symptoms doesn't mean it's non-toxic. Kinda the crux of modern regulation, isn't it--that anything is acceptable, at low enough levels, including Aluminum and Mercury.

Hey I have to ask, it seems you live a lot North of the area I've read that Saffron grows well. How does it do up there in the Winter? I'm really wanting to grow some here, but the Summers might be a bit too brutal.

No problem with the winter so far, but we're pretty mild. USDA hardiness zone 7/8. I think they grow in zones 6-8.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by hax9215 View Post
    When I taught foodservice classes at Edyville State Penitentiary saffron was oneof the spices kept under lock and key in the supervisor's office along with yeast, raisins, and bananas. Concentrated saffron is poisonous, and could be used to coat a shiv.

Okay, I get it with the saffron then. But why the yeast, raisins and bananas? (Yeast to prevent surreptitious fermentation maybe? ... But raisins and bananas don't seem dangerous.)

Kev the Cook I LIKE GYUTOS!!!

I gotta know why you can't have raisins in prison.

I figure you can sneak stuff around in a banana, like a razor or needles or something.

raisins are used to make hootch, they have a high sugar content and natural yeast on the outside. Bunch of raisins, water and some fruit bits, a little time and you got hooch.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

As usual, Son is right on. Raisin jack was (and IS) a real problem inside, although it does taste better than some of my first tries at applejack! Banana peels could be dried and smoked. I actually inventoried peels v. bananas and turned it in with my daily report form.

A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

+ Reply to Thread