Saffron "harvest"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucretia

Reaction score
I forget about the saffron crocuses in the yard until they start popping up this time of year with three lovely threads per blossom...

Saffron1.jpg

They're still pretty little things after you pluck the threads.

Saffron2.jpg

Put on a saucer and left on top of a warm oven to dry, and the whole kitchen smells of saffron.

SaffronThreads.jpg

Very pretty. Thanks for this. It's nice to see how beautiful the flower is.

I just wish you could smell it as it dries. It's pretty wonderful.

that is pretty great that you can grow your own saffron - congrats and thanks for sharing.

Dusty, I haven't tasted the flowers themselves. Have you heard if they are edible?

eaglerock, they're very easy to grow (at least in our climate.) 1) Buy a bag of bulbs. 2) Dig a little hole about 10-15 cm deep. 3) Put the bulbs in roots down & cover them up. 4) Go have a beer to reward yourself for doing yardwork. That's it. I don't feed or water them. They bloom in the fall and put up some leaves that will disappear later. They multiply over time, but you only get saffron 3 threads per flower. I think we ended up with about a tablespoon of dried threads this year.

We ate some just the other day, but no pictures. Made some tomato cheese grits to go with some blackened salmon (simmer some tomatoes with saffron, thyme, salt & pepper, then throw in some grits and cook until grits are done. Top with grated cheese.) For those of you who aren't familiar with grits, they're somewhat similar to polenta.

I haven't heard either way, but I'd give them a go. I use a few different flowers for garnishes at work, wild onion, clover, rosemary...

The purple of the saffron is quite striking, especially contrasted with the yellow of the stamen.

Nice photography and nice produce ma'am, thanks for the thread. :)

Very cool. Sorry Lucretia, you said saffron is easy to grow in your climate. Where are you? You say, 'within an hour of EE.' But what/where is EE?

All non-poisonous plants are entirely non-poisonous, and vice versa.

EE is Epicurean Edge, a knife store located in Kirkland, WA, USA, and a den of iniquity worthy of its own mention in the Forum Glossary. A wonderful place to fondle knives--many of mine were purchased there. At an hour away, it's entirely too close to where I live...I can't seem to walk in the door without dropping $$$. I'm overdue for a visit, but there's a Bill Burke sujihiki in clad 52100 and cocobolo that makes me drool, and I'm afraid to walk in the door there until it's sold.

All non-poisonous plants are entirely non-poisonous, and vice versa.

Not necessarily true. Rhubarb stems are ok, the leaves are toxic. You can have poisonous parts on otherwise edible plants: if your potatoes have turned green, you want to trim it away before cooking because the green parts contain the toxin solanine. Time of year can even affect the toxicity of plants--you can eat the young spring leaves of pokeweed if you cook them; they'll be toxic later in the year

Not necessarily true. Rhubarb stems are ok, the leaves are toxic. You can have poisonous parts on otherwise edible plants: if your potatoes have turned green, you want to trim it away before cooking because the green parts contain the toxin solanine. Time of year can even affect the toxicity of plants--you can eat the young spring leaves of pokeweed if you cook them; they'll be toxic later in the year

That's what I thought, too.
Really cool pics, Lucretia. Is there any difference between this and the stuff you get from Spain / Iran?

When I taught foodservice classes at Edyville State Penitentiary saffron was oneof the spices kept under lock and key in the supervisor's office along with yeast, raisins, and bananas. Concentrated saffron is poisonous, and could be used to coat a shiv.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Well, it is just a matter of levels. The amount of Solanine in a green potato is not harmful unless you are a very small person and eat a large potato skin and all that is very very green. However, when they turn green, I toss em, because there is an elevated amount of Solanine throughout, and I'd just rather have none. Same goes for Rhubarb(which is not conditional, it is statically toxic), the leaves just have a higher concentration of Oxalic Acid(even then, you'd have to eat an unreasonable amount to die), but the entire plant contains poisonous substances.

I'd say Rhubarb and Greening Potatoes are entirely toxic plants. Just staying under the level of direct symptoms doesn't mean it's non-toxic. Kinda the crux of modern regulation, isn't it--that anything is acceptable, at low enough levels, including Aluminum and Mercury.

Hey I have to ask, it seems you live a lot North of the area I've read that Saffron grows well. How does it do up there in the Winter? I'm really wanting to grow some here, but the Summers might be a bit too brutal.

No problem with the winter so far, but we're pretty mild. USDA hardiness zone 7/8. I think they grow in zones 6-8.

When I taught foodservice classes at Edyville State Penitentiary saffron was oneof the spices kept under lock and key in the supervisor's office along with yeast, raisins, and bananas. Concentrated saffron is poisonous, and could be used to coat a shiv.

Okay, I get it with the saffron then. But why the yeast, raisins and bananas? (Yeast to prevent surreptitious fermentation maybe? ... But raisins and bananas don't seem dangerous.)

Kev the Cook I LIKE GYUTOS!!!

:plus1:
I gotta know why you can't have raisins in prison.

I figure you can sneak stuff around in a banana, like a razor or needles or something.

raisins are used to make hootch, they have a high sugar content and natural yeast on the outside. Bunch of raisins, water and some fruit bits, a little time and you got hooch.

As usual, Son is right on. Raisin jack was (and IS) a real problem inside, although it does taste better than some of my first tries at applejack! Banana peels could be dried and smoked. I actually inventoried peels v. bananas and turned it in with my daily report form.

Back