Quantcast
Wood
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood

Wood

Just out of curiosity for those of you who like to re-handle knives. What is a good and reliable wood purveyor to use? I have been through many and have chosen two that I like, but I am not finding anything on those sites that really strikes a cord with me yet.

As much as I like the trial and error method, right now is not the time and I have a new knife that is in need of some decent wood.

I use those guys
    http://www.bellforestproducts.com/

the wood is not stabilized though

I get quite a bit of stabilize woods from www.alphaknifesupply.com and I get my very high-end stabilized Koa from Steve Hughes (no website yet, e-mail: sitkastephd@comcast.net) I can get you his phone number if he doesn't get back to ya. Check out this Koa from steve and the copper + G10 + Box Elder Burl (end-cap) is from AKS:

-M

Insane cool western handle!!!!

Damn!!

I am thinking sometimes that you guys on the mainland seem to get better koa than I do right here at the source... Oh well, I get other nice local woods instead. I buy most of my wood raw and send it out for stabilizing. In the beginning I had sources all over the place, but I have narrowed it down and try to get more and more wood locally or at least from the neighbor islands, so that may not help you all that much. But I hear that www.alphaknifesupply.com is well-respected and many knifemakers buy there. I also like to deal with Robert at www.arizonaironwood.com . His stabilized wood is also top quality (don't remember whom he uses but it's either K&G or WSSI).

Stefan

I tend to find high quality wood locally. Sometimes I have to buy a whole board to get a section of it suitable for handles, but I use the rest for sayas or save it for other projects that I have in a pipeline.

Ironwood I buy by block and Koa I buy by a board foot so I resaw it and send for stabilizing to K&G.
    M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I bought from these guys. Have many different burls to choose from. Good pictures and web layout which is nice when you can't pick them up in your hand and also want to look through a lot of different scales.
    http://shop.arizonaironwood.com/main.sc

Thank you for your help all, looks like I am going to take a stab at some black ash burl

Now if I can only find some time to do it.

Very nice! Where did you find it?