Quantcast
Anybody know about bonsai?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody know about bonsai?

Anybody know about bonsai?

Anybody grow bonsai here?....I have always wanted one...I actually used to have one but it died....it was a present...I know it was very expensive also.....anywhere I can get a relatively cheap one and not have to become a botanist to learn how t care about it?....Ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

"anywhere I can get a relatively cheap one and not have to become a botanist to learn how t care about it?"

That my friend, defeats the whole purpose of Bonsai.lol
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I was reading online about rosemary bonsai and thought that might be a good idea.....yeah I know what u mean.....I don't need another expensive or technical hobby....Ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Juniper plants work very well, or japanese maples. by a small one and strip the leaves off, when the new growth comes back the leaves will be slightly smaller, after the leaves have been on the tree for a month or so strip it again and the leaves will grow back smaller. let it grow back and leave it alone for six months continue the process until you achieve what you are looking for. With the Juniper, you kinda want a windswept triangular look. Find a small gnarly twisted juniper remove all inward facing branches. strip half the leaves. get some heavy copper wire and twist it around the branches and carefully reshape them. You can also bind branches back onto them selves and anchor them down or shore them up. leave the bracing in place for a month or so and remove one, if the branches look the way you want remove the remaining bracing and wire, if not leave bound, until desired effect is achieved. Junipers also need to be stressed so, give them rocky , poorly nutrient soil and sporadically water them, let them dry out. Keep them in Hot places them move them to cold places . You are trying to stunt it's growth. I'm sure that all the Bonsai experts may disagree with me but, my mother and I have made hundreds of Bonsai over the years using anything from camelias, azaleas, miniature Maples, Oaks, cypress and a dozen other plants. Juniper is the easiest because the, shape and character of the windswept austere beauty is already there. These methods work but, like anything environmental and climatic factors come into play also, some people just suck with plants.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I bought three bonsai about a year ago. Two have survived (sort of). One of my trees just never got over the shock of being shipped up north and quickly decided to take its life rather than live in Minnesota. The other two got mealy bugs and almost died too. At first I used alcohol on a q-tip to control the bugs, and then when summer arrived I treated them with some organic spay I mixed up. lt worked but also sent the trees into another round of distress. They are doing fine now, but not the prettiest things as they have lost leaves and regained them a couple of times in a year, and I didn't wan't to go crazy pruning when the trees were in distress.

I think Salty gave me a tip to watch for bugs, and I would agree with this fully. Photo below is from a year ago, and the one on the far right is now deceased.

k.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1495.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	10970  
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I tried bonsai a couple times but managed to kill them. I'm trying niwaki instead. Where a bonsai is potted, niwaki means "garden tree"--you shape the tree but grow it in the ground. That way you can abuse the tree to get the shape you want but you don't have to worry so much about watering, etc.

edit: oh, and you might want to check out the gardenweb forum. They have an entire section dedicated to bonsai.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    One of my trees just never got over the shock of being shipped up north and quickly decided to take its life rather than live in Minnesota.

Where did you have them shipped from?

I think it would be fun to have a cool looking little Bonsai, but like Sudsy, I'm not sure I'm up for another technical/time consuming/expensive hobby.

I totally want some bonsai trees too! Ever since I saw a collection of bonsai tress at Huntington Library in LA, I always wanted some....

I give up after I murder two bonsai trees! very sad...
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

hehe funny i wanted to start a thread about it today
    I become very fascinated with Bonsai and building my new workshop i use them a lot for decoration
    Just ordered 5 new Bonsais from Germany and many tools for them from Japan.

I killed couple of bonsais too, but its because i did no know anything about it. And now did my research on youtube and many bonsai clubs in DK, you really need to if you want to grow Bonsai.
    Pictures coming soon