Quantcast
Flamed Redwood Sighting - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flamed Redwood Sighting

The funny part is that we knife people often times use "waste" wood that is not suitable for other uses like maple with flame that is too small or walnut that has too much figure and too tight a figure to be useful for a gun stock. Pretty much anything that we buy stabilized is probably of no use to a lot of wood workers,

guitar. I would make a guitar out of it.
    BBQ Heretic

You could make a few stand-up basses out of it!

The minute you start talking atone woods, you have moved into another world. There are people who will pay STOOPID money to have the sides and back of their guitar made from some leftover old growth Brazilian rosewood that folks like the Martin custom shop, Collings and Santa Cruz have stashed in the back for special projects, even the "plain" straight grained stuff. IIRC, the base price for the Brazilian upgrade on any Santa Cruz was over $2000 in 2005. Yeah, thats $500 per slice for 4 relatively small pieces of wood less than 1/8 of an inch thick.

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    The funny part is that we knife people often times use "waste" wood that is not suitable for other uses like maple with flame that is too small or walnut that has too much figure and too tight a figure to be useful for a gun stock. Pretty much anything that we buy stabilized is probably of no use to a lot of wood workers,
    Very true,knife handles are small.I have scored nice hardwood scraps for cheap including curly Koa,From Martin & Macgarther furniture makers

Some of the crazy black walnut that I have gotten from Don Hanson in recent years has been picked by his brother out of wood destined to be cheap furniture or even firewood. You need a nice piece that is 2 to 3 feet long for a rifle stock, but only a little 5-6 inch section of a branch crotch for a knife handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Very true,knife handles are small.I have scored nice hardwood scraps for cheap including curly Koa,From Martin & Macgarther furniture makers

I took up the hobby of acoustic guitar building...tonewoods are ridiculously expensive. I stick to a lot of plain straight grained Honduran mahogany. Even "plain" common domestic woods go for over 100 a set. Have to be extra careful when bending or it gets even more expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    The minute you start talking atone woods, you have moved into another world. There are people who will pay STOOPID money to have the sides and back of their guitar made from some leftover old growth Brazilian rosewood that folks like the Martin custom shop, Collings and Santa Cruz have stashed in the back for special projects, even the "plain" straight grained stuff. IIRC, the base price for the Brazilian upgrade on any Santa Cruz was over $2000 in 2005. Yeah, thats $500 per slice for 4 relatively small pieces of wood less than 1/8 of an inch thick.