Quantcast
You asked, you whined, now here it is: Kato passaround - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: You asked, you whined, now here it is: Kato passaround

The more time I spend on this forum, the more I learn and I also realize how much I have yet to learn. Glad to have some knowledgable cats on here that are happy to share said knowledge.

Annnnnyyyywayyyys- back to the Kato...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    I didn't sharpen it (don't trust myself,) but did notice the chips when I recieved it, forgot to mention, sorry, my bad. I must have dulled it pretty bad, lol.
    Hmm, didn't have those when I sent it out. You guys might want to pack it with a little bit of paper towels or something like that around the edge before sending it, since the cardboard sheath doesn't seem to have been enough.

Curious to see what you think of this knife EdipisReks...

here is the Kato tip:

click to embiggen

Could be the cardboard. We pack the box tight, but not the actual box te knife is in. Something to think about in the future. Hmm...
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

i used it for a good while, today. it certainly cut quite a bit better than i expected, but wasn't what i would consider great. cutting carrots and fennel bulb was a real chore, until they were reduced a bit, though it minced garlic and shallot and onion with no particular problems, though splitting a large onion took considerable force, and i had to reduce the onion into about 8 sections before i could really start mincing. i wish the tip were thinner. stickage wasn't bad at all. i find the balance of the knife to be awkwardly forward, but that is the kind of thing one would soon become used to. the existing patina was stable, and it didn't impart any off flavors or colors to the food. the edge retention is about the best i've see on a non-honyaki carbon blade, and it still easily shaved arm hair when i was done with the hour long cutting session. i didn't baby it, though i also didn't slam it against the board, or anything. i'll update impressions at the end of the week.

I found the balance a little forward now that you mention it. Maybe that was the feel I wasn't liking it. Thanks for the tip pick, it's definitely going into my vault for reference.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    here is the Kato tip:

click to embiggen

Jesus where are those big arse bevels coming from??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
    I can almost hear his voice begging for thinning.

Haha no wonder the knife cuts bad. I would expect it to be quite shite.
    Think about it...with the grind this knife has, and with the bevels 2mm wide, how thick it is over the bevel?

Henckels

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post

Jesus where are those big arse bevels coming from??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Think about it...with the grind this knife has, and with the bevels 2mm wide, how thick it is over the bevel?

Henckels
    The bevels as they came to me were a good bit thinner, but they were also at a higher angle. I was surprised when people said these were so thin BTE and I got such wide bevels. They were wider than bevels of a comparable angle on my Yoshihiro--I did thin the Yoshihiro a good amount, but it's not even that thin.

Henckels
    I dont understand this post. Can you clarify?

Thanks

John

Henckels
    pretty much how it was when i got it, other than repairing the chips (i slightly increased the bevel angle to compensate as much as possible for the pretty significant chip repair, but i didn't want to remove too much steel, given that it's not my knife). i came to the conclusion that the knife certainly needed significant thinning, if it were to ever cut well. the bevel on the other side is much smaller. looking at the choil, the knife had a significant bevel asymmetry that surprised me quite a bit. i don't know how much the knife was sharpened before i got it.

+ Reply to Thread