Quantcast
You asked, you whined, now here it is: Kato passaround - Page 12
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: You asked, you whined, now here it is: Kato passaround

Sponsors
    You can even see it on my website, tips are much thinner in the pictures and those pictures is one of the first knives.

An not perfect pic but the tip on mine, will try to take another one. Some 5-6mm from the top theres a line, it is where I ground off metal from the spine down when I broke the tip off.
    I broke the tip off few times but its still not that fat, come on.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    I find it hard to beleive the knife got that much thicker in less than 2 months of use. Especially since most indicated they only touched it up, if it hit the stones at all. Perhaps the knife was not particularly thin behind the edge to begin with.
    Youve seen a new Kato? Or is it just uneducated guess?

I sharpened one of the first 24cms, at the gathering and I have the first 27cm myself.
    I dont say it is not possible for this knife to be a fake, but by implying this you suggest Maxim didnt check the knife, didnt noticed its porkiness, the new owner either.

My question is, who broke the tip off, or chipped the edge and fixed it just by removing steel from the edge?

And BTW I sharpened my 5 times over maybe 2 first weeks and already I had to thin to maintain it.

I have one of the prototypes(the one Mike sharpened infact) and it is no way near that fat.

How it turned out like this, I'm not gonna speculate due to the fact it involves fingerpointing in one way or the other.
    -"we're gonna make gluten free lasagna"

I am the original owner, I had it less than 2 months, sharpened it maybe twice, I made no alterations to the profile, after I sold it I custom ordered a 240mm through Maksim, and specifically asked for a thinner tip, all comments I've made on this knife have mentioned that I thought the tip was a bit chubby
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Huw's sale page is here: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...270mm-wa-gyuto

Looked like the knife had a bit more metal when it left Australia. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post

Im not sure about that Chanop might just be the angle of the blade at the photo.

EpidesReks is the bevel wider a little more in the middle of the edge length in this pic?

The Heiji is getting more and more interesting for me. Is that stainless-free?

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Im not sure about that Chanop might just be the angle of the blade at the photo.

EpidesReks is the bevel wider a little more in the middle of the edge length in this pic?
    The bevel is wider in the middle of edge length. Please see my next post for measurements of the blade.

Ok, so I made a few measurements while I have this Kato, I hope some can find these helpful.

Blade height:
    heel- 52.53mm
    10cm from heel- 48.51mm
    18cm from heel- 40.28mm
    1cm from tip- 9mm

Spine thickness:
    at handle- 5.34mm
    above heel- 4.99mm
    10cm from heel- 3.12mm
    18cm from heel- 2.99mm
    1cm from tip- 1.35mm
    2cm from tip- 2.02mm
    3cm from tip- 2.61mm

Bevel width (right side):
    heel- 1.88mm
    13.5cm from heel- 2.46mm
    tip- 2.09mm

Thickness behind edge (at bevel shoulder):
    heel- .6mm
    1cm from heel- .67mm
    13.5cm from heel- .69mm
    tip- .57mm

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post

The Heiji is getting more and more interesting for me. Is that stainless-free?
    it was pretty significantly wider in the middle before i took the (pretty significant) chips out. i evened it out a bit, but took as little metal off as possible, so it was still a good bit wider in the middle.

my Heijis are semi-stainless. they do slowly take patina, and they sharpen up like really good carbon.

+ Reply to Thread