Quantcast
You asked, you whined, now here it is: Kato passaround - Page 9
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: You asked, you whined, now here it is: Kato passaround

That should be a good fight. Looking forward to your opinions.

I'm not are what it was, but I just wasn't feeling it. I think I'm just too partial to my bellyless knives. I did like the heft (sorta) and the low reactivity was a nice change, and low sticktion was a plus. It's probably in part that I'm used to cheaper knives or ODC. Looking forward to others opinions and feelings.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

the Kato arrived. big knife! it has some edge chips, and it's quite dull, so i'll have to take care of that before i get a chance to use it, but i hope to do so this weekend.

I didn't sharpen it (don't trust myself,) but did notice the chips when I recieved it, forgot to mention, sorry, my bad. I must have dulled it pretty bad, lol.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    I didn't sharpen it (don't trust myself,) but did notice the chips when I recieved it, forgot to mention, sorry, my bad. I must have dulled it pretty bad, lol.
    Don't feel bad, I beat on it pretty hard when I had it. Couldn't help myself. It just likes to work...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

i went ahead and fixed it. didn't take long, Chosera 1k->Shapton 4k->Gesshin 8k. definitely more wear resistant than my Shig. very tall right hand bevel, which i raised ever so slightly to make up for removing the chips. the knife seems quite thick at the tip and edge compared to my 270 Heiji, and those things are instant suggesters of cutting performance, for me, but i'll keep an open mind until i get a chance to use it. here it is (in a bad, low light environment), next to the Heiji. the Heiji seems longer in the photo, but the edge length appears to be pretty identical.

click to embiggen

The tip definitely needs a little work. One of my few gripes about this knife.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

it would be very easy to make the tip very thin. here is my Heiji's tip, which this will be going against:

click to embiggen

Not to derail the thread, but I definitely need some help in regards to tip work. And do you mind posting a pic of the Kato's tip as well for comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    it would be very easy to make the tip very thin. here is my Heiji's tip, which this will be going against:

click to embiggen
    Lovely...

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but I definitely need some help in regards to tip work. And do you mind posting a pic of the Kato's tip as well for comparison?
    sure, i'll take a pic tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Lovely...
    i don't think quite as nice as the tip you put on your 240, though.