Quantcast
You asked, you whined, now here it is: Kato passaround - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: You asked, you whined, now here it is: Kato passaround

Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    I dont understand this post. Can you clarify?

Thanks

John
    I think he means the blade is thick behind the edge due to the way it was reground.
    I am looking at mine and I see a rather thin tip, for me the question is who massacred the knife that badly.

Here pics of mine

bevel is pretty thin

yeah, not even close to what i saw when i opened the box.

I got the knife from the PO today. I fed it an apple, was a bit stinky, but alright so far.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i came to the conclusion that the knife certainly needed significant thinning, if it were to ever cut well. the bevel on the other side is much smaller. looking at the choil, the knife had a significant bevel asymmetry that surprised me quite a bit. i don't know how much the knife was sharpened before i got it.
    Basically my thoughts upon opening the box and examining it. I thought these were supposed to be 50/50 geometry, anyone know? The bevels are quite asymmetric, and I did notice a small amount of steering in the one quick use so far, it is quite thick behind the edge, but I am not going to do much work on someone else's knife. I would like to see the choil rounded a bit and polished some if I were buying one. The weight and balance is really weird, a Gesshin Ginga is my only other gyuto right now, so the two cannot really be compared.

Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    I dont understand this post. Can you clarify?

Thanks

John
    This Mainaman did already but yeah this whole post can be shortened to one word : FAT

I did not mean its any of you guys fault. More like of damn thats thick comparing with mine.

Given this knife was sharpened 10 times and never thinned[as finish on the blade suggests], its possible.
    I will try to catch a photo of miine today.

That picture for sure looks very wierd to me, i had to go and see how they look and for sure they should be much thinner

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    here is the Kato tip:

click to embiggen

It is clearly that something was wrong with sharpening

here is picture of 210mm and 270mm Kato tips new out of the box

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000047.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	12684

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    bevel is pretty thin

Wow, those are way thinner than the bevels on the Kato (both before and after my sharpening). And the tips that Maksim posted look crazy thin in comparison to this one. Like I said above, the bevels did get wider when I sharpened it, but I sharpened at a fairly standard angle and didn't really cut away nearly enough that the knife would get suddenly thick BTE. The bevels on my Yoshihiro and Marko gyutos at similar angles look much more like the picture above, this thing was a fatty.

Was this knife modified or sharpened a lot (i.e. losing height and getting thicker BTE) before it got to the passaround or is there variability in the grind on the Katos? The tips on the knives Maksim posted look thinner than even Mainaman's, for example.

I find it hard to beleive the knife got that much thicker in less than 2 months of use. Especially since most indicated they only touched it up, if it hit the stones at all. Perhaps the knife was not particularly thin behind the edge to begin with.

the tips Maxim posted look much thinner than Mainaman's (which in turn looked a lot better than the pass-around knife). i had read that tip thickness on early examples wasn't great, so i'm guessing these are the new ones.

+ Reply to Thread