Post-Sandy Roll Call

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to call Ryan in a few minutes and see how he made out. I know that his town got nailed hard.

I'm way above 39th Street and away from the crane on 57th so no problems here.

Here in Philly it wasn't all that bad. Monday morning being the worst of it with lots of rain and some winds. Had to walk to work in it, we were one of the only restaurants open. Hope everyone is safe.

I remember reading that Son lives in Jamaica, which isn't too far from me. This area of Queens seems to be ok; I hope Son and everyone else is well.

We're feeling it a little here in fly over country.

Lake Michigan

waves2.jpg

Scott,

I was going to see if you were going to swing down to the lakefront, sounds like kenosha / northern IL is getting some of the best waves. Cool pic. Surfers were out downtown Milwaukee this morning.
Eric

I feel like we dodged a huge bullet. We had maybe a combined inch of rain, wind was not as big a factor as it could have been and we did not loose power. Folks south and west of us didn't fare so well.

Scott,

I was going to see if you were going to swing down to the lakefront, sounds like kenosha / northern IL is getting some of the best waves. Cool pic. Surfers were out downtown Milwaukee this morning.
Eric

Wind Point, froze my butt off.

Parts of Manhattan/Queens/Brooklyn has no electricity or internet, and the subways have completely flooded. It's a pretty crazy. No one knows when work, school, or transportation will start back up.

I looked out the window to see a whole crowd of people, ambulances and fire trucks out my window. I went outside after several hours, because I was so curious as to what was going. My friend asked the nearest police officer what was going on, and he pointed up...

NYC-Crane-Hurricane-Sandy.jpg

Yea... I live 2 blocks away from that and we were literally at the evacuation cut off point. It was quite unnerving to see this crane dangling 90 floors high, but it didn't fall last night so everything is okay.

Now I'm just worried about Son's restaurant and Korin, since they're both downtown and I heard it got hit pretty hard. We all fear that the basement flooded. We wanted to check, but the traffic lights are out, which means we'd be in for a 4 hour walk to and from Korin to not be able to do anything.

I hope everyone here is safe and sound. :[

Here in South west VA, we got some of both rain and wind, and snow but being in between all that's going on it is rather mild here.

I am in VA beach at the moment wind and a bunch of rain but everything alright except a few flooded roads, talked to my family in NJ last night, they lost power but everything seemed alright. Still need to check on friends in W. VA and NYC.

I miss Michigan so much, the Great Lakes are the best, beautiful. Thanks for the pic, salty.

Now I'm just worried about Son's restaurant and Korin, since they're both downtown and I heard it got hit pretty hard. We all fear that the basement flooded. We wanted to check, but the traffic lights are out, which means we'd be in for a 4 hour walk to and from Korin to not be able to do anything.
I wish both of you well, and hope the damage isn't too bad.

We're still dealing with some black/brown outs here. But no major damage or flooding that I've heard of. Hope everybody south of me made out ok...

Doing alright, Don't know if the restaurants fine or not. All of the power is still out and the whole neighborhood around my restaurant is flooded and a building front collapsed across the street. all the subways around the neighborhood are flooded.

Mild here in Philly but lots of power out. Got mine back around 10 pm. 36 hrs. - got off easy!

Having a good thought for all of you.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

I think it's time for the US to start looking at the survivability of its infrastructure. We get 135 knot winds here that flip over humvees, but the utilities don't crash that badly. Well, NYC is tough and Bloomberg's got his s**t together. I have faith that Christie will act effectively as well.

The area where I live largely dodged a bullet this time. Couple of towns near by had some serious flooding (they are on the water), but we have seen mostly damage from fallen trees. There was very little rain in the past couple of days, thankfully, as a larger rainfall would have almost certainly flooded my shop (sump pumps without power are pretty useless).

Power in my shop has been down since Monday, hopefully will be up sometimes today, as I can't do much work in a pitch-black basement.

At my home we had power throughout the storm, but our power comes in underground.

M

Saw one like this when I was stationed in Fairbanks AK, it snowed 1/2" in Virginia and cities where shutting down, while we where sitting on 188" in 35 days... and still had to get to work...

Ryan checked in last night. We got to talk for about 2 mins before he lost cell service again. he said that his basement is flooded and there's a giant boat sitting on the sidewalk 2 blocks from him! They're all OK though so that's all that matters.

Any idea if there is problems in Fairlawn, nj ?

I can't reach my uncles :(

Anybody heard from Rick (Theory)?
I don't think he's close to the coast, but I'm not sure.

Latest posts

Back