newbie with cleaver question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koi boy

Reaction score
Hi guys, koi boy here from columbia, sc. been enjoying the forums for about a year now. thanks for the advice and humor. i have a question for you cleaver gurus. am considering a new japanese cleaver. i have a cck 1303 and a heavy chinese bone cleaver. have heard great things about the suien vc cleaver, but it seems that they have changed the profile and added more belly over the past three years. is this cleaver still recommended or should i consider something else in the $200 price range? have also considered a used sugimoto no. 6 if anyone has one. thanks so much, looking forward to hearing from you guys.
Koi Boy

click on kitchen knife, then click on kitchen knife knowledge then read the discourse on why i love chinese cleavers post. its awesome. welcome to the forum

ive read almost everything that andy has posted on cleavers. dont know if bigger belly on the cleaver makes much difference. need advice. Thanks.

I had a suien a while back and really enjoyed it. A few members commented on the belly, but I dd not find it adverse. The only reason I sold was because I signed up for a pierre.

The steel was great, f and finish were on par with other knives in that range. I would get a suein again.

how long ago did you aquire this knife? does a bigger belly make a lot of difference?

I purchased it a little more than a year ago from JKI (great service btw) and sold it about 6 months ago. For me the belly was in the perfect spot, it was where I was naturally terminating my cuts anyway so there was no need for misc wrist movement to complete the cut. It cuts slightly different than the cck, but I think I prefered the belly over the dead flat.

thanks for the warm welcome guys, and thank you calaeb. i bit the bullet and ordered the suien vc. will post my feelings on the cleaver.

Dollar for dollar that Suien is the best value I have seen, and I like a little belly. Be prepared to start neglecting the rest of your knives as you get used to the cleaver, they are safer, faster, and more versatle. Be careful when switching back to yur santoku after extended wachoo use; it is easy to get usd to the wider blade and shave a knuckle or two. And btw, :welcome2:

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Welcome. I too want a new cleaver but would much rather spend the $ on a deba and keep the cck

Back