looking for new gyuto...(lefty)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

convis

Reaction score
What type of knife(s) do you think you want? Gyuto

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?looking for a knife with geometry to better accommodate my left-handedness.... and the money is burning a hole in my pocket. Currently own 210mm tojiro dp gyuto, 240mm akifusa, kikuichi petty and nakiri, few old euro carbons. primarily use the aki

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-
non factor for me.
Edge Quality/Retention- akifusa holds edge for longer than i could ask for, but food release and wedging are def issues with that one. made really evident after trying out brothers asai for a while
Ease of Use- above issues
Comfort-wish it was a lil more tip heavy
What grip do you use? pinch grip
What kind of cutting motion do you use?mostly push cut,
Where do you store them?cardboard "sayas" in the roll for now
Have you ever oiled a handle?yup

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?at home an end grain butcher block, work mostly poly

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?strops stones

Have they ever been sharpened?whenever they need it

What is your budget?ideally 300-400 range. i think i want to wait at least one more purchase to understand more what i like before i pony up for a custom... but that budget is slightly flexible

What do you cook and how often? 50 hours a week

Ideally im looking for something 240 or 270 in range, i enjoy sharpening and maintaining my old carbons much more than the stainless, and after using a wa handle for while definitely would prefer it.

Being left handed, ive really had a hard time figuring out knives that are close enough to 5050 in edge/blade geometry to work well for me. the lack of info is really frustrating, looking at spine shots over the internet doesnt exactly give me peace of mind either. I figure you guys are a much better source of information... If there is any good left handed models in that price range please by all means point me that way. Open to any and all suggestions.

What about these "few old euro carbons"? They come less right biased than most Japanese knives. Especially the carbons by Robert Herder are almost neutral.

maybe just send the good old akifusa to dave for thinning and refinishing. that should make the knife feel quite different

The Sakai Ultra thin white steel I got is 50/50.Unusual for high end Japan Gyuto.I sharpen it 50/50 as well.These Sakai knives fr. blueway are excellent quality in the 200.00 range.Nice octagon handle,top fit & finish,a fine tool.

I was under the impression that most of the super thin (laser) knives were closer to 50/50?

maybe just send the good old akifusa to dave for thinning and refinishing. that should make the knife feel quite different
thats a good idea, in addition to buying another knife...

You could buy a thin knife that will be close to 50/50 or you could buy a thicker one and thin it to make it more lefty friendly. To be honest if I were you I'd probably just email a few vendors and ask what knives they have are lefty-friendly. I believe JCK do some lefty-oriented knives for a price. I'm also pretty certain the Masamoto KS comes with a lefty grind if you ask for a lefty handle, I had to wait like 2 weeks after I ordered mine and from looking at the shape of the saya it definitely has a lefty grind

I want to sell mine, basically it is everything I dislike about knives in one knife, but I got it when I didn't really know what I was doing and it needs some serious TLC. Hopefully I find some motivation soon. For all I'd get for it I don't think it's worth the money to send it to Dave

Hmmm. Lefty KS that needs love, you say?

Back