Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it true?

Booing anyone's national anthem isn't right. I wish I could say that Canadian fans never did this, but I think there's been a gradual erosion of decency and manners in the population at large over the years.

Is it just me or are people (kids?) not taught anymore to cheer for their team and to also respect the other team as well?

It is pretty ignorant if you ask me. I was in the military, and before that was taught a respect by good parents. Home team pride needs to stay that, why the need to boo another countrys National Anthem, wait till the singing is done, and boo the bloody team!! Thats what I did when I went to the games. Ok, I'm done! (Way to go Salty, now I gotta go get a beer befor the game starts! )

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

We'll be watching the hockey game, they just went from Miller lite to Opus! <---expensive a$$ wine.

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Booing anyone's national anthem isn't right.
    I wouldn't generalize that absolutely. If I was Congolese in the late 1800's, I'd boo the hell out of the Belgians. Just an example...
    In the case of a sports match, you're right that it's not "good manners".

Holy Crap! Overtime! Time to break out the good beer!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Rivals are Rivals buddy . . . !!!
    That is why there is too much action in the game between US and CA.
    BTW the haircut by the boy is CoOl . . . (:

I think the disrespect is despicable, it would stop pretty fast if all the players on all the teams would walk out of the arena.

The loss of sportsmanship accross all sports is regretable.

sports·man·ship

   /ˈspɔrtsmənˌʃɪp, ˈspoʊrts-/ Show Spelled[spawrts-muhn-ship, spohrts-] Show IPA
    –noun 1. the character, practice, or skill of a sportsman.

2. sportsmanlike conduct, as fairness, courtesy, being a cheerful loser, etc.

Origin:
    1735–45; sportsman + -ship

Dictionary.com Unabridged
    Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.

.sportsman (ˈspɔːtsmən) n , pl -men 1. a man who takes part in sports, esp of the outdoor type 2. a person who exhibits qualities highly regarded in sport, such as fairness, generosity, observance of the rules, and good humour when losing 'sportsman-like

Jaromir Jagr was the undisputed heavyweight king of the hockey mullet, until he cut those flowing locks.

This is really an issue of the fans, and not the actual players, right? Sportsmanship is more about the players and their attitutudes then it is about the fans. I would have to imagine there are some US citizens on the Canadians, and some Canadian citizens on the US teams they play against. The Canadian fans booing the US national anthem are basically booing some if their own players I would think. Seems ignorant, but compared to some European-based soccer fans it's pretty mild. I've never really understood why fans take sports so seriously. The athletes are paid pros and get moved from team to team, so most are quite a bit more level-headed then the supporters.

You should try a Celtic v Rangers match in Glasgow! IF they were just booing anthems (which we only play at international games in Europe and not at every bloody game like they do in the USA - a pet peeve of mine but there you go) then that would be fine by most folk but it's the nail bombs in the mail and the violence inside and out side the grounds that is just too much. I grew up a Celtic supporter and still am but I never likes the sectarianism.

There is a lot more respect in Rugby which is my game of choice; that respect is both on the pitch and off it. You don't see a bunch of rugby players trying to intimidate a referee; they behave like meek lams when the referee calls them over