Quantcast
Whats the Deal with Shun and VG-10 Steel? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats the Deal with Shun and VG-10 Steel?

seriously... it always surprises me too... i really expect better... but its the same everytime. I feel very confident saying maybe 10% of the ones i have seen were "good".

I have sharpened alot of dull & chipped Shuns.They have a good distribution network here, sell them in quite a few places.I agree you can get Japan Gyuto,that are same price range or lower that are better blades.

I think that the way most people treat knives that they have bought in a store,would chip any Japanese thin edge Gyuto.Knife care teaching should be mandatory when people buy a fine blade.On a forum like this most know how to sharpen& take care of their knives.A Majority out there do not do either.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    seriously... it always surprises me too... i really expect better... but its the same everytime. I feel very confident saying maybe 10% of the ones i have seen were "good".
    They aren't THAT bad. I haven't seen that many, esp. not recently but every one I've picked up cuts pretty well except for the profile issues. They just aren't great for the price.

i haven't really spent much time with Shuns made in the last couple years, so i can't say if they suck now, or something, but i've never seen that. i've also yet to see the bad grinds on the Henckels Kramers i've examined, either, so maybe Ohio is just knife heaven, or something.

I know Shuns didn't get any love in KKF but I don't have any issues with mine! In my opinion, my $99 Shun has better F/F than most ~$150 japanese knives & even better F/F than some of my $300+ knives(Carter, Watanabe, Takeda...). I have few expensive japan knives + America custom knives & I still using my Shun everyday!! if you are OK with vg-10 and find a shun you love with good price(40~60% off)....just grab it!! my
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I'm not a chef, but i cook a lot at home and love knives. I have 3 shuns. A 5" Santouki (sp?) a 7" Santouki, & a 6" boning knife. I also have an old 8" Henkels chef, a 6" Dexter boing knife, and my newest knife, a Moritaka 150mm petty made with Aogami #2.

when i first got the petty i cut myself 3 times. I got used to it and now use for 90% of everything i do in the kitchen. the boing knife is in a drawer, brand new and used less than 10 times. it's too stiff and thick to properly bone a leg of lamb...for me. I use my $20 dexters.

Everything has its use and place. Shuns are not terrible, but I will not get another. I will most likely get another Japanese high carbon knife, a 210 mm gyuto. I know the experts out there will cringe, but I shapon my Moritaka on an old oil stone, but without oil or water. touches up very quickly and beatifully. Way faster than any shun I have, and stays sharper longer.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    They aren't THAT bad. I haven't seen that many, esp. not recently but every one I've picked up cuts pretty well except for the profile issues. They just aren't great for the price.
    maybe people just bring me f-ed up ones... i wish you could have seen the one i sharpened yesterday... the sides looked like rolling hills.

I see a lot of rolling hills too Jon and bird's beaks as well.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Sorry, I'm just a Shun hater. They are an abomination. I'd rather use a Sani-Safe stamped knife with a rubbery handle than ever buy another Shun. No, a Bud-K! A Jay Fisher! A Cutco!
    Maybe I'm going overboard, but some of their lines are so stupid and wacky. The Kaji ? I think that's what they're called. They look like someone brought Dr. Suess back from the dead and gave him a license to blacksmith. Don't get me started on the Ken Onion's or the Alton Brown ones!!!!
    Leave the Shun, take the cannoli.
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

I think people like Shuns because they shine & have damascus patterns.Not ness. a good reason to buy a knife.Their 10.5 Yanagi(a little on the short side)costs 189.00,has almost no hollow grind,very shallow.Has a cheap feel to it,but not a cheap price.

+ Reply to Thread