Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: First Pass-around

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Put the Mizuno through a few long shifts at the office, and it's currently heading to Theory.

Thanks again Salty!
    That's it - let's here some thoughts/comparisons/idealogues/reflections/ruminations/scruitiny

Sorry - I have to have something to look forward to since I am last!

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    That's it - let's here some thoughts/comparisons/idealogues/reflections/ruminations/scruitiny
    Haven't really collected my thoughts about this guy yet. Here are a few notes off the top of my head:

• It has something of a learning curve. The first hour or so, I thought it was awkward and clunky. By the end of the day, I loved it.
    • Cuts thinner than it is. Got a big fat chunky grind and has virtually no sticktion issues, but also moves easily through food.
    • Blade heavy son-of-a-bizzo. Part of the "learning curve" is getting used to the weight.
    • Definitely not for everyone. Industrial knife for industrial use.
    • Begs for abuse. You get done julienning three dozen onions rapid-fire, and you just wanna throw the thing across the board like a boss.
    • Profile wasn't my favorite, but it was fitting for the geometry, if that makes sense.
    • Gorgeous patina that just kept getting better, zero odors or discoloration on food.

This is one of the most effective "workhorse" knives I've used professionally. It's like Wusthof got its act together and made a SuperSthof, a big mean burly bastard you could use for anything without worry, that also cut well and had great steel. That said, I was never compelled (even the slightest bit) to take it out at home to cook dinner for two. Just seemed overkill.

I don't think you need to say much more than that Jack. Man, I wish I'd gotten in on this...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Haven't really collected my thoughts about this guy yet. Here are a few notes off the top of my head:

• It has something of a learning curve. The first hour or so, I thought it was awkward and clunky. By the end of the day, I loved it.
    • Cuts thinner than it is. Got a big fat chunky grind and has virtually no sticktion issues, but also moves easily through food.
    • Blade heavy son-of-a-bizzo. Part of the "learning curve" is getting used to the weight.
    • Definitely not for everyone. Industrial knife for industrial use.
    • Begs for abuse. You get done julienning three dozen onions rapid-fire, and you just wanna throw the thing across the board like a boss.
    • Profile wasn't my favorite, but it was fitting for the geometry, if that makes sense.
    • Gorgeous patina that just kept getting better, zero odors or discoloration on food.

This is one of the most effective "workhorse" knives I've used professionally. It's like Wusthof got its act together and made a SuperSthof, a big mean burly bastard you could use for anything without worry, that also cut well and had great steel. That said, I was never compelled (even the slightest bit) to take it out at home to cook dinner for two. Just seemed overkill.
    I think it would be worth it tho.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I don't think you need to say much more than that Jack.
    +1

Fun reading.

Where's the balance point on the knife? I'm really interested in knowing how blade-heavy it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Where's the balance point on the knife? I'm really interested in knowing how blade-heavy it is...
    Hmm. Can't say I remember for sure. I didn't give the knife a critical inspection like I did with yours, since I don't think either the maker (or Salty) is particularly interested in feedback. It could have been more balanced than it felt, and just seemed blade heavy because of its overall weight. It's the first 240 I've shipped that needed 2 pounds of postage, though.

That is what I was looking for - Thank you sir!

It is blade heavy but it's a great example of what I refer to as "weight distribution". With the right grip it kind of melds with your arm and hand. Also more responsive than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    With the right grip it kind of melds with your arm and hand.
    This. A few hours in it had that "extension of your arm" thing going on pretty strong. I think everyone says that about every knife at some point, but it's really pronounced with the Mizuno.