Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: First Pass-around

Sent it off to pitonboy a week ago...wonder if holidays screwed up the post..its insured and tracked so i ca check my ticket if he still doesnt hav e it.

Not sweating it, just remembered it was floating around out there somewhere.

ummm.........................?

i haven't seen it yet.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Wow guys. Lol.

Sorry. Have it and love it so far...

the knife arrived yesterday, but i was out of town so i laid eyes on it and used it for the first time tonight. grabbed it out of my neighbors hand, let me tell you. anyway, i knew i was going to like it as soon as i laid eyes on. the knife is mighty, sure, but it just feels... reassuring to use. the only thing i did to it was fix the slightly chipped tip and freshen the edge (freshening the edge pretty much fixed the tip). i'd love to have seen this new, as i bet it's a bit thicker than it was (and it could use a bit of thinning, especially at the tip), but it's beautifully ground, and cuts very well. i felt right at home with it. i was afraid that it would be too short, as my other knives (mostly Sanjo blades) are longer, but that wasn't the case. i'm really looking forward to using it more (i made lasagna, tonight, so there was a decent amount of cutting). the edge seems as sharp after use as it did after touching it up, so the edge retention seems great.

i love this knife. if it were mine, i would thin it out, especially towards the tip, but it just feels good and right, as is. it feels very precise, just like a Heiji, and the edge retention is great, even better than my Singatirin honyaki. the Singatirin is a considerably more effortless cutter, as it's a thinner knife (imagine a Shigefusa, but thinnish) but the Mizuno sticks less, and does feel more precise. the general grind on the Mizuno really is great. i gotta get one, at some point. hopefully sooner rather than later, now that my wife has gotten a better job. i don't want to send it on, and am glad i have a few more days.

High praise.

Nice writeup, Edipis.

thanks! it's a knife that really screams "professional" in the hand.