Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: The Grind

  1. #1
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    12,209

    The Grind

    Lots of folks ask me what my grind is like, or (based on pictures) they assume that I grind flat sided blades. Every once in awhile I post a picture to illustrate just how they are actually ground.

    A thin bottom half for ease of cut and a mid point bulge for release is what I aim for. I also taper the spine, but ONLY enough to keep it out of the way of the cut because I hate thin bendy spined knives so I don't make those.

    I know that food release on my knives is decent. My own testing and feedback from so many customers and users has proven this to me. Is it the be all end all of food release? No of course not. Grinding knives is a balancing act, finding the sweet spot is the goal and the goal line is always moving.

    So anyway, here's the grind on my knives....
    *Note - this is just an initial rough grind to show clearly how my knives are worked. This is not the actual final finish.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010002.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	489.9 KB 
ID:	36203  

  2. #2
    Senior Member ThEoRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    4,238
    I think that illustrates it perfectly.

    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    The Alps, Austria, Europe
    Posts
    894
    Dave, this as well as that could be interesting for someone who is on your list...

  4. #4
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    12,209
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I think that illustrates it perfectly.

    Thanks for chiming in Rick. You might not know this but I learned a lot about this stuff from you over the years. I listened when you talked and especially when I had to re-work your gyuto I didn't do so well on back when I started. I always think about you when I'm grinding the front part of the blade, and yeah that's the truth right there!.

  5. #5
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    12,209
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    Dave, this as well as that could be interesting for someone who is on your list...

    VERY wise post Manuel!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southern NSW Australia
    Posts
    1,816
    Thanks for illustrating this Dave.

    Just so I'm sure I have it right: Do your knives have a kind of hidden shinogi? Do you convex the blade road? Is there a lot of right hand bias to the blade road grind?

    How is the edge ground? Is it a continuation of the blade road grind (perhaps with a microbevel) or is there a primary bevel? Is the edge centred in relation to the spine (this is what I take to be a 50-50 grind, please educate me if I have this wrong).

    Assuming I want to follow the original grind (I do), at what approximate angle should the edge be stropped or sharpened? Is it the same on each side?

    As always, please don't feel compelled to disclose any trade secrets
    Looking for a signature that won't land me in trouble

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,559
    He grinds 50-50 as close to humanly possible for hand ground... can't really answer the rest as I only have a petty from him (so far).

    And I would suggest the edge is reasonably obtuse given the size of bevel on my petty (i am assuming you sharpen all knives relatively consistently)
    I will say and blade from Dave is likely to be in the running, if not be, the sharpest knife ootb you have, and will ever, experience

  8. #8
    Senior Member foody518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,518
    Dave, thanks for sharing this explanation of your grind

  9. #9
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    12,209
    Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    He grinds 50-50 as close to humanly possible for hand ground... can't really answer the rest as I only have a petty from him (so far).

    And I would suggest the edge is reasonably obtuse given the size of bevel on my petty (i am assuming you sharpen all knives relatively consistently)
    I will say and blade from Dave is likely to be in the running, if not be, the sharpest knife ootb you have, and will ever, experience

    Thanks for jumping in Alex.

  10. #10
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    12,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Just so I'm sure I have it right: Do your knives have a kind of hidden shinogi? Do you convex the blade road?

    They start out with a shinogi line but I round it over during finishing. I tested both ways (crisp shinogi vs rounded over) and the clear winner was the rounded version because the crisp shinogi wedged a lot more. I doubt that this is true for all knives, and know it's not true for single bevels, but for my grind this is the case.




    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Is there a lot of right hand bias to the blade road grind?

    None at all. My knives are ground as symmetrical as humanly possible.





    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    How is the edge ground? Is it a continuation of the blade road grind (perhaps with a microbevel) or is there a primary bevel? Is the edge centred in relation to the spine (this is what I take to be a 50-50 grind, please educate me if I have this wrong).

    I grind the edge only when the two sides of the knife are about to meet. At this point I use a diamond stone to join the two sides. This is tricky business doing it this way (post grind vs pre-grind) but I like what it shows me. By creating the edge post grind I am given a look at how even my grind is along the length of both sides. I can then do additional grinding (tweaks) to the blade grind to make it even along it's length and matching on both sides. I started doing it this way because of the familiarization in doing this during blade thinning on so many Japanese knives over the years. Basically what I'm saying here is that I use the edge height as a guide to show me blade/edge thickness so that I can adjust.

    Yes the edge is centered as much as humanly possible to the center of the spine.

    Yes my knives are 50/50 ground - both the blade and the edges. Right or left handedness is not an issue here.






    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Assuming I want to follow the original grind (I do), at what approximate angle should the edge be stropped or sharpened? Is it the same on each side?

    The edge bevel has been created on my knives to be at the same angle on each side. Since I freehand sharpen I can't tell you what angle the edge has been created at. But that doesn't matter anyway, angles have little meaning to us, they're just numbers. What is important is to sharpen/hone/strop/thin/repair at what angle the knife/edge needs and how to find this information out. See THIS post for some help.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •