Quantcast
Pre-patina? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-patina?

I agree with everyone else. I personally wouldnt care for a pre-patina but i can bet there are home cooks that would love it as they dont cut a lot... constantly.
    I can go through 8 tenderloins in a day prepping its easy to get a patina started... I also got enough knives that if a knife needs a bit more patina before it can really be a workhorse I can easily set a knife aside until I have more time to properly care for it.
    most people dont own a $400 plus knife much less have many to choose from unless you are talking to a knifenut. I can easily someone deciding to invest in one high quality knife and wanting to use it right away with no muss no fuss and pre-patina would be the perfect option.

I think it would be a good option that other makers don't have. It could make ordering a knife from you a little more fun - how will it be? what will the pre-patina look like?

I suppose if you include an info booklet with your knives, or provide some post-sale support via email, etc, you can also advise on removing the patina if customers don't end up wanting it.

However, if they're already on KKF then they probably know all about this kind of thing.

Taking the current comments to the next step: custom patinas? Maybe based on expected use, or color preference or steel properties?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Custom? ... Zwiefel, you're not thinking of patina burls?

I like that purple/blue that comes from red meat blood. The only problem I forsee is your neighbors objecting to a fresh corpse in the yard with a bunch of knives sticking out of it.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Custom? ... Zwiefel, you're not thinking of patina burls?
    What do you think it would cost to get one for the SIH?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I like that purple/blue that comes from red meat blood. The only problem I forsee is your neighbors objecting to a fresh corpse in the yard with a bunch of knives sticking out of it.
    LMFAO, that's awesome!
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

One of the aspects of the natural patina I love is that not a single one is the same as the next. A forced patina is just another finish, just like a brushed or polished finish, flat and bland. Some have come up with artsy ways of making it look interesting but it is still just another finish that can be duplicated.

Some people like a forced patina, and nothing is wrong with that if that what they want. I'll take mine all natural

If it was an option, I would choose an etched blade.

There's some great feedback here guys, some even made me laugh and cringe too.

So far the majority isn't interested but most say having the option is nice and some say that maybe they'd chose it if there were patterns available. Sounds pretty much what I expected to hear.

Thanks for your input.

+ Reply to Thread