Using a dry stone for deburring??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago a German distributor claimed the Choseras could be used whet as well as dry. Really never understood what kind of dry use they were referring to...
Dry use will cause loading and asks for good cleaning afterwards. And dry is a relative notion.
When deburring a particulary tenacious VG-10 (just flipping over and over without ever getting rid of it, you should know), I tried to abrade with a more or less dry Chosera 2k, and later on with the 5k. Very different stones, but the 2k seems to get much finer when used dry, and the response is huge. And the deburring really complete. Any thoughts??

With harder alloys (SKD11 in my case) I use a dry 6k stone with 2/3 stropping motions per side to freshen up an edge: extremely fast and very good results.
It's basically my substitute for a fine honing rod (which I use with softer stuff).
Sure it clogs the stone and I have to scrub it a bit when I go for a proper sharpening session (with soaked stones).

Should also note that I'm not exactly a stone expert nor a master sharpener!

IMO.

The loading of dust (slurry if wet) and swarf add lapping component to this interaction, therefore faster deburring. A sharp edge frees of burr/wire if it can make a clean/smooth 5th (ignore the first 4) slice through newsprint without tears/catches. Lapping is applicable for both wet or dry stone. If using dry stone with hone-rod edge-lead stroke, then it's a slightly diff story/physics.

Back