Quantcast
Micro-chipping
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Micro-chipping

Micro-chipping

What is the problem or concern with micro-chipping? Or is there one? I have a knife that seems to exhibit it now on a somewhat routine basis. But it seems like strictly a cosmetic issue to me. I cannot ascertain any difference in performance.

-AJ

Pull it through a piece of paper. Depending on what you are cutting (mostly when slicing rather than chopping) I believe there is a difference.

Ego?

I agree with Salty.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Well sure. But I am not seeing a.difference. with onions, carrots, peppers, sandwiches, tomatoes, etc.

-AJ

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I think the biggest thing is that micro can become bigger problems as you go. also you may get some metal in the food you're eating.
    Chewie's the man.

To me routine micro chipping suggests either improper cutting technique, wrong blade for the job or too acute of a sharpening angle, and around these forums, I'd go with the latter. The result of routine micro chipping is that you will routinely have to 'grind' away more metal than normal (necessary ??) when you remove this chips, which you will have to do at some point. When I've had chippiness due to sharpening angle, simply backing off by 3 degrees per side and maybe adding a micro bevel solved the problem....and really I didn't see any difference in cutting performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
    To me routine micro chipping suggests either improper cutting technique, wrong blade for the job or too acute of a sharpening angle, and around these forums, I'd go with the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
    When I've had chippiness due to sharpening angle, simply backing off by 3 degrees per side and maybe adding a micro bevel solved the problem....and really I didn't see any difference in cutting performance.
    +1
    one man gathers what another man spills...

To me micro-chipping is an indication of an over-hardened blade. You can correct this problem with a
    microbevel, but the fact remains that the blade doesn't have an optimal HT (balanced sharpness/toughness/hardness). A choice of steel matters as well.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Yeah, there are a whole bunch of possibilities, but if you can't knock a handle off and temper it down and refinish it, the best option is microbevel, until you have to sharpen again. At that point, go less acute. You know this, I'm sure, from your posts, but it's a good little thing to toss out there anyways.

I think you were asking kore about performance differences and I'd say it's just less smooth slicing, and possible issues of "micro" becoming "macro".
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

It happens with most of my knives but I see it as just wear and tear. I sorta see it as an illustration of me being near to the knife's max performance. It is easy to do, could be a bit of dirt in a scallion or a leek, and the crappy plastic boards we use in work aren't great for the knives in the first place. Considering how much I use my knives it doesn't bother me too much. They come out easily with sharpening