Greetings and salutations!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua1970

Reaction score
My name is Joshua, and I have recently had a revelation regarding kitchen knives, thanks to having recently won a Gahoujin 180mm stainless steel western style santoku on another forum's Breast Cancer Awareness auction (Badger & Blade). The knife was generously donated by Jon and Sara from Japanese Knife Imports (JKI) and has been fitted with beautiful custom English Sycamore scales with pink G-10 liners and custom mosaic pins- and to top it off, the knife was sharpened by Dave Martell. Not only is it one of the most beautiful knives I've ever held, and so thin, but it made all of this past week's storm preparation for myself and my parents a breeze (again no pun intended, and gratefully we dodged the bullet here in Northeast PA).

After using this knife nearly exclusively since receiving it, I mentioned to Dave how my entire outlook on knives has literally changed overnight. Until now I've owned, used, misused and at times, abused a 20+ year old set of Henckels Friodur Ice Hardened kitchen knives - my first and only knife set I've ever owned. This knife seems to be the perfect transition knife from the Henkels I've used for years and the Japanese knives I've watched many a chef use, care for and love.

Now, well, let me just say that it is a brand new world! My keen interest in sharp blades (pardon the pun) has suddenly stretched beyond the bathroom and my straight razors, and into the kitchen where the options, as a neophyte, seem endless and a bit intimidating. Been looking at several chef knife websites (mostly related to Japanese knives/grinds) in an attempt to get my bearings, Dave suggested I stop by KKF to help get the lay of the land. ...after lurking for just 1 day, I am glad I followed his advice!

Just wanted to introduce myself, say hello, and publicly thank Dave, Jon & Sara, and say I am looking forward to learning more than I can even imagine about knives and more!

Thanks!
Joshua

hey... glad you like the knife and even more that the money went to a great cause... welcome to KKF

hey... glad you like the knife and even more that the money went to a great cause... welcome to KKF

Thanks Jon! and to say I like it is understating things just a tad! :) She's already been named: Mayumi - after the beloved wife of my old sushi chef in LA, Kenji Suzuki who, together with Mayumi, were the proprietors of Sushi Suzuki which was located at Olympic & Bundy throughout the 90s - and were my defacto adopted parents when i first moved to Los Angeles - one would think I'd have picked up on the japanese knives back then, tragically I didn't)

It was your donation, and Dave's customization, that woke me from my cutlery slumber lol.

thank you again for a generous donation for a great cause! I believe the total raised in the auction was over $16,000!

Welcome to KKF.

thank you!!

you still live in LA?

Alas, I left SoCal in 2000, as my father was having serious health issues here in PA (he still is, so I am grateful to have moved 'home' to care for him, as much as I may miss Los Angeles) - plus by then I had long given up on the record industry as I saw the internet coming like a freight train as early as 95/96 (my nickname was 'chicken little" at the label I worked at, in fact) so I knew the career I chose was pretty much over as I knew it....

My younger brother, a former Manhattan-ite moved to Venice Beach in 2007/2008 and just recently moved to the H. Hills so I do plan on visiting him and some of my old friends this winter (fingers crossed). I will be sure to let you know as the plans come together - would love to meet up and grab a bite or drink!

Welcome!! Glad to have you here.

thanks Taylor!

Welcome. I recently joined B&B, and there are some others on both forums as well.

Welcome. I recently joined B&B, and there are some others on both forums as well.

I do recognize a number of names from B&B here :)

B&B got me through some rough times this summer, truly a great group of folks... generous to a fault (if that is possible)

I am very excited to join KKF! I must say the wheels in my head are turning about what shaving gear I should put up on B&B's BST to help subsidize my inevitable purchases here (both via BST and via member vendors) LOL

Welcome Joshua, it's great to see you here, but you're so screwed now - good luck to you! LOL :D

Welcome Joshua, it's great to see you here, but you're so screwed now - good luck to you! LOL :D

thanks Dave, for the welcome and invite! and don't I know it!! but at least I'll be in good company! hehe

Great to have you here Joshua! Enjoy the ride.

thanks Jim!! so far so good. a bit overwhelmed, slightly intimidated but uber-excited to be here :)

Welcome Joshua, that knife you got is awesome. My hat is off to you for placing the winning bid. It's a great way to get into a terrible addiction!!!
Happy to have you around here, you're in fantastic company.
One word of wisdom: Don't eat the yellow snow.

Welcome Joshua, that knife you got is awesome. My hat is off to you for placing the winning bid. It's a great way to get into a terrible addiction!!!
Happy to have you around here, you're in fantastic company.
One word of wisdom: Don't eat the yellow snow.

thank you!!! when the auction started I knew I was going to get the knife - no matter the cost. it was all for a great cause, afterall, and though I have a good set of knives (despite being clueless how to care for them -thankfully they too are stainless) I decided that this knife would be mine.... and sure enough, here I am as a result of that knife, sure to be one of those rare acquisitions that proves to be life altering ... like my first record player, my first flyfishing rod, my first car, and my first engagement ring (LOL)

again, very glad to be here, just trying to soak it in (the collective wisdom & experience, not the yellow snow, of course)

:welcome2:

Hide your wallet.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

That's one hell of an introduction to the world of jKnives! Welcome to the forum, as you already noticed: you are in the right place.

Please convey my salutations to Ms. Humm and St. Alphonso!

Welcome, Joshua! In Tagalog, "mayumi" means "modest", in the sense of being lady-like. It's a good choice for your beautiful knife. :)

Regards,

Mark

:welcome2:

Hide your wallet.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

thanks Hax - and I've already got a sense of what i'm in for.... anyone up for trading for pipes, straight razors, Xixing teapots or flyrods? wink wink (kidding, srt of, well I know I've got 45 days to post in BST LOL)

That's one hell of an introduction to the world of jKnives! Welcome to the forum, as you already noticed: you are in the right place.

Please convey my salutations to Ms. Humm and St. Alphonso!

Thank you Sir! again, it was quite an eye opener, as is running through the various forums here!

Oh, and I'm hoping to run into Dina-Mo or one of her friends this evening... if not, that's ok, it'll be a pancake breakfast w Saint Alfonzo! lol

btw - hilarious sig. LOL

Welcome, Joshua! In Tagalog, "mayumi" means "modest", in the sense of being lady-like. It's a good choice for your beautiful knife. :)

Regards,

Mark

thanks Mark! and also for the tagalog meaning of Mayumi - serendipitous indeed! :)

Back