Quantcast
Should I get a Chinese Cleaver? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a Chinese Cleaver?

Yeah, picked it up a couple weeks ago. Really pleased with it. Thinnest knife ive eve ir used. There's some pics and my initial thoughts in my thread in the gallery forum.
    Been meaning to right a review. It is a tiny bit shorter than most full size cleavers though

Thanks Josh,man you have a serious down under knife collection.I like the looks of those Mizuno's both carbon & stainless.I like the handles as well.On a cleaver like um rt up against the blade & thicker,I think it comes fr. all those cheap carbon chinese cleavers I've had over the yrs.

Yeah, that traditional handle design is growing on me. I pretty much dismissed it first cause I though it looked cheap and **** (yeah, I'm pretty shallow when it comes to knives) but after picking up the Mizuno, it works really well for something so simple.....still looks cheap and **** though...

Planning to check out a Konosuke #6 tomorrow if they're still in stock. Went today before work, completely forgetting it was a public holiday

Cheers,
    Josh

I'll jump in to beat a dead horse. Buy a CCK, or similar, just to get the feel of it. Step up to your dream cleaver after you've decided you like the feel and cutting style. Personally, I stopped at the CCK for that reason.

In the CCK price range, why not just find an asin market or restuarant supply house in the UK - the UK is renowned for its asian food - right??
    a quick google and what about some place like Hoo Hing?

Quote Originally Posted by iliria View Post
    ...Also are there any other websites (non-US based) that sell to UK and that offer more choice? Thank you in advance for any suggestions and advice.

Action Sales, on Atlantic in Monterey Park
    I have to stay away from places like that...I can smuggle a new knife into the house and swear to my wife that I've had it for years, but kinda hard to do that with a 36" wok.

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Which restaurant store is this??? ...

You can buy CCKs in many chinese supermarkets in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
    Action Sales, on Atlantic in Monterey Park
    I have to stay away from places like that...I can smuggle a new knife into the house and swear to my wife that I've had it for years, but kinda hard to do that with a 36" wok.

Thanks! Both locations are relatively close.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Well, I caved in to temptation and ordered the Hattori cleaver. Chose cocobolo wood for the handle since I quite like the colour and patterns on the wood. I have used the knife quite a few times now and it feels really comfortable and its arrival could really mean early retirement for the rest of my knives (apart from the utility one that is). This beast cuts anything as if they were butter.

Thank you very much everyone for your advice on this topic.

cck owner. great bang for the buck. def +1