D. Martell For Sale - One of a Kind Hiro AS Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have for sale a 240mm Hiromoto Aogami Super Steel (AS) Gyuto that's had it's blade thinned (for performance), spine & choil rounded/smoothed over, and etched (for looks) as well as a custom (hidden tang) iron wood handle installed. The hidden tang handle style brings the weight balance point forward just the way it is on wa handles, it's very nice with mosaic copper/nickel silver pin and a copper spacer was used between the wood and bolster for accent.

The knife was originally made for myself but times are tough and it's up for sale now.

This is a one of a kind configuration that's had a ton of work put into it, built to kick ass and look good while doing it! :cool2:

Price - $425 USD (shipping to CONUS included - international will be charged actual costs)

Please shoot me a PM if you're interested, thanks! :)

P1010027.JPG

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010018.JPG

P1010019.JPG

P1010024.JPG

Here's our own Rick (Theory) going to town with a thinned and etched 240mm Hiro gyuto that I worked on a while back....

[video=youtube;JUAa8b7vKqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JUAa8b7vKqY#![/video]

I forgot to mention that I just sharpened it up fresh so it's ready to go to work. :)

Damn rent is due so no dice here. Looks like a ton of work, and the price is a very good deal.

I should say that the video was made before Dave worked his magic. While sharp you see it glides through the onions effortlessly, it's clunky and snaps the ends of the carrots with a pop. Since it has returned it no longer does that. It's a laser beam now. This knife has been in service daily at my kitchen for about a year and a half now and I've only needed to sharpen it 4 times really.

The knife Dave is offering here is reaaaallly good. I would buy it myself if I didn't already have 2 240mm gyutos in the works. Somebody buy this now! You're going to love it!

Beautiful etching job Dave it's a stunning knife.

Thats gotta be the coolest hiro I've ever seen. Ive never lusted after one of these before, but this one is just a awesome.

What a bargain too, even if you could find someone to do the work, what would it cost? $200-300 for the handle work? And another $150-200 for the thinning, finishing, etching and sharpening?

If you look at it that way, youre just paying for the work and the knife is free.

That thing in gorgeous, absolutely beautiful. WIshful thinking on my part tho.

That's the hiro I see in my head when I close my eyes. It's perfect

Then someone buy it! I wanna see this thing after it gets it's ass kicked for a few years.

That's the hiro I see in my head when I close my eyes. It's perfect

I have the Hiromoto AS with Dave's thinning & etching but not as good as this one. I'm very happy with my.:doublethumbsup: buy it, you won't be regret!!

Thanks again Dave! I'm like a giddy little school kid that KNOWS christmas is coming early. :lol2: :D

Congratulations on acquiring what looks like a great knife. Let us know how you like it after you give it a try.

Back