Sous Vide SousVide Demi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Continuing my would be purchases, CHEFS was also selling brand new SousVide Demi machines for $129, with a 20% coupon, brings it to just over $100. Should I go back and get it? They said CHEFS stop carrying it because they only sold two (in store) in the last year.

I want one, too, for that price it's a no-brainer.

Stefan

I can't see any reason not to buy one. Even if you find you don't use it, you can likely resell it for a profit.

I paid full retail and feel like it was a bargain.

I would take one too if you were to find the ambition to distribute some.

The kitchen specialty stores around here suck. Lots of product, great selection, horrible prices and never any sales. Oh, and yes, they do believe MAC is the be-all and end-all of J-knives.

Michael Ruhlman said on his blog a while back he is fan of the Ziploc bags with the hand vacuum pump, you could grab that for now and look around at your options.

This has been recommend by a few of the members here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of you may be lucky enough to be able to do a sous vide bird for Thanksgiving. Wish I could, but it's not in the cards right now :(

Three for one special. Turns out blue and red are not good sellers, so off they go. Black and white models are still full price. The other two are spoken for.

photo.jpg
[/IMG]

photo1.jpg
[/IMG]

Good deal on the demi.

On the less expensive side of sealers: A "FoodSsaver Pro" has served me well for about 10 years but is starting to show its age. Liquids can be worked around but its better suited for sealing and freezing. If I was buying to sous vide I would reach deeper into my pocket and go for the chamber sealer.

That's a great deal. Full price on Amazon appears to be $325. Wow.

I'm gonna have to stick with a stock pot over a flame.

Yeah, imo those are the best size bags to have. I actually went to 500 count boxes of those because you will learn you always want extra room at the top, plus you can just seal lower and trim shorter if needed. I find it's cheaper in bulk, and handy in general to not have 4 sizes of bags to deal with.

Congrats on your new purchases, what fun!

Be sure to learn the heck out of the time/temp/thickness guidelines on Baldwin's website, and be aware of your food safety rules and practices.

A chamber sealer won't be in the budget for quite a while, I shouldn't spend money on frivolous things at all right now. Now if I only had marked my boxes in storage better so that I don't have to open all 40 to find the Foodsaver... I had a look at the Baldwin site, that looks helpful. Will I need the book? Any other recommended book that could be useful for an amateur with a demi?

Stefan

Effen Amazing. I have actually wanted to get one for a few years, but I have been dithering about what combo to get. 2x Demi or 1x Regular Supreme and 1x Demi. I hear people like having two so you can do two dishes at once.

Again, nice pick up.

k.

A chamber sealer won't be in the budget for quite a while, I shouldn't spend money on frivolous things at all right now. Now if I only had marked my boxes in storage better so that I don't have to open all 40 to find the Foodsaver... I had a look at the Baldwin site, that looks helpful. Will I need the book? Any other recommended book that could be useful for an amateur with a demi?

Stefan

Id only buy it if you want to be able to thumb through it, or if you feel inspired to show some financial support for his efforts... Pretty much everything in the book is on the website, I own the book but find myself more likely to look something up on his site than to open my book. The recipes are good, but the only real important part is those tables (and they are REALLY important), everything else is the whimsy of the chef.

Keller's "Under Pressure" is the sous vide bible, but you certainly don't need it. There are tons of legit food blogs just brimming with good sous vide recipes.

Be sure you make a double batch of the "perfect egg" right off the bat, it's a perfect intro to get your mind working in the right way for this method.

Hi There,

Here is a link to a recipe call "Chicken Dockside", I recommend you try it. It gives a great presentation and is very tasty!!
:yammer: http://svkitchen.com/?p=156

Welcome to the word of Sous Vide. Another must try recipe is 72 hour short ribs!!!! :thumbsup:

I keep reading and phantasizing about the things I could make, but my machine is still in the mail...

Stefan

I've been using one for two years. Works great.

Although without a vacuum sealer you are forced to use a dry rub or dry marinade.

It's still in the mail!?

Yep, maybe they put it on the slow boat to China and drop it off on the way... Did you send it priority? If not, it can take a little longer, but I am not in a hurry.

Stefan

Latest posts

Back