Quantcast
Is it wrong...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong...

much more awesomer

Is it wrong...

...that I made a tiny profit on a knife sale?

No, I did not sell it through this (or any other) forum.

An odd set of circumstances led to me acquiring two knives of the same style and length within a couple of weeks of each other, one lightly used and lovingly maintained, the other brand-new and unused. My collection of good knives is rather small and my finances not exactly great so it was hard to justify keeping both. Recently my wife lost her job and I actually have to think about each and every expense. Getting rid of some of my toys is a logical, if heart-breaking step.

A co-worker professed his new-found interest in Japanese knives so I offered him the unused knife. I had paid $375 for it early this summer; I told my co-worker I need $400 for it now. Knowing that the currency correction has affected pricing by the Japanese knife makers, I told him that he is getting a great deal.

Should I feel bad that I made a few dollars by holding onto the knife for a few months?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Absolutely! Now send me your profit and you will feel MUCH better!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

If $400 is less than the current pricing, I wouldn't worry about it. You both got a good deal.

in my opinion, if buyer and seller agree with the price; there is no right or wrong!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

If a friend found out I was trying to make some green off him he would probably be a little pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    in my opinion, if buyer and seller agree with the price; there is no right or wrong!!
    +1

-AJ

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Well, you are probably going straight to hell.
    Can I have your knives?
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

If current pricing on the knife made your price fair I say no problem. But if current prices are less then what you were asking then yes I'd have to say what you did was wrong. Only exception would be if there were a long wait or something for the knife. I could buy a Shigefusa and turn around and sell it for an extra $50 bucks cause I had it immediately instead of a 6 month wait for the knife and wouldn't feel bad, if I did it with a shun I would be in the wrong.

It's okay, so long as you have your status on KKF switched to 'Vendor' I guess.

Tell the buyer that the extra $25 is meant to cover GST/QST.

Capitalism at work.

If it's cheaper then new still then there isn't really a problem.

Money sucks but it seems to be a necessity unfortunately.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience