Is it wrong...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SameGuy

much more awesomer
Reaction score
...that I made a tiny profit on a knife sale?

No, I did not sell it through this (or any other) forum.

An odd set of circumstances led to me acquiring two knives of the same style and length within a couple of weeks of each other, one lightly used and lovingly maintained, the other brand-new and unused. My collection of good knives is rather small and my finances not exactly great so it was hard to justify keeping both. Recently my wife lost her job and I actually have to think about each and every expense. Getting rid of some of my toys is a logical, if heart-breaking step.

A co-worker professed his new-found interest in Japanese knives so I offered him the unused knife. I had paid $375 for it early this summer; I told my co-worker I need $400 for it now. Knowing that the currency correction has affected pricing by the Japanese knife makers, I told him that he is getting a great deal.

Should I feel bad that I made a few dollars by holding onto the knife for a few months?

Absolutely! Now send me your profit and you will feel MUCH better!

If $400 is less than the current pricing, I wouldn't worry about it. You both got a good deal.

in my opinion, if buyer and seller agree with the price; there is no right or wrong!!

If a friend found out I was trying to make some green off him he would probably be a little pissed.

Well, you are probably going straight to hell.
Can I have your knives?

If current pricing on the knife made your price fair I say no problem. But if current prices are less then what you were asking then yes I'd have to say what you did was wrong. Only exception would be if there were a long wait or something for the knife. I could buy a Shigefusa and turn around and sell it for an extra $50 bucks cause I had it immediately instead of a 6 month wait for the knife and wouldn't feel bad, if I did it with a shun I would be in the wrong.

It's okay, so long as you have your status on KKF switched to 'Vendor' I guess. ;)

Tell the buyer that the extra $25 is meant to cover GST/QST.

Capitalism at work.

If it's cheaper then new still then there isn't really a problem.

Money sucks but it seems to be a necessity unfortunately.

The current price on the maker's site is ¥35,000 or about $450 at a typical credit card exchange rate -- that's before the "custom" touches (curved and polished spine and choil) and shipping.

I see nothing wrong with the deal as described.

Only if it makes you feel guilty, should you feel guilty. It's all up to you to decide. Sorry....

I'm from the camp where I like to give good deals...spread the love a little. I've gotten some great deals, too, so it seems fair. I have seen a few things I've sold, resell for more...it irks me a little, honestly.

But, as a buyer, one should be versed, and be able to decipher for themselves if a deal is good or not.

Only if it makes you feel guilty, should you feel guilty. It's all up to you to decide. Sorry....

Unless you're just totally heartless :lol2:

If I'm selling something that's still a deal compared to the market value, I don't mind too much. I used to be into razors and bought a ton of things for WAY cheaper than they were worth, but sold them for what they were actually worth. I wasn't going to sell a $300 razor for $25 just because. Your time and energy (e.g. hunting in antique stores for razors), and the convenience you offer (no wait, for example) as others have mentioned are fair things to consider when you set a price. This is all my opinion, though.

+1. Not at all.... The is so much information now a days about products, characteristics, description and prices... As long as you are honest on what you are offering.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm comfortable with the deal. The original sale (to me) was a great deal, and a net-zero gain for the (re)seller. In order to make that deal work I had to drive 65 miles -- across the border -- each way to pick it up. If I consider my fuel and time, $400 is also a zero gain for me. Don't tell the Canadian taxman, but when I told the CBSA officer on the way home that I had "some groceries and kitchen utensils" she waved me through and I saved the 11% duty and 14.975% VAT... ;)

Don't tell the Canadian taxman, but when I told the CBSA officer on the way home that I had "some groceries and kitchen utensils" she waved me through and I saved the 11% duty and 14.975% VAT... ;)

Really? I can't understand how this could be better than 'some groceries and a Japanese hand-made 240mm kasumi wa-gyuto' ...

Kitchen utensils - good one. I will remember that for my customs forms, too.

I'm from the camp where I like to give good deals...spread the love a little. I've gotten some great deals, too, so it seems fair.

I 100% agree with this. Some people here have helped me and give up their time freely and the 1 knife I bought on the BST here was a once in a lifetime deal. So therefore I sorta feel that since others have been so generous it is only right that I continue the spirit. If money is tight them you gotta do what you gotta do but if your friend finds out perhaps he won't be happy?

I've forwarded him the link to the maker's website which clearly indicates the base price of the exact model of knife, before "custom" touches and shipping. I've made $25 over what I paid, which honestly does not cover the gas and time I spent when I picked the knife up. Meanwhile he's saving at least $100 (if not more) off the current price with shipping. I'm OK with both sides of the deal. :)

Tell you what: just so the doubters don't lose all faith, when the deal closes I'll donate that $25 to the site even though the buyer has never been here.

Francesco,

No need to do that brother, you can't make everyone happy. Anyways, the consensus says you are good to go. There are many people on here I would bend over backwards to help out, but it's not universal. I believe in servant leadership aka working for the people you lead, but sometimes things work out in your favor. Savor it, it doesn't happen often.

Francesco, your knife, your money, your perogative. However, an opinion was clearly solicited in your opening post. In a forum with over 2000 members,you had to know not everyone would have the same views. Please don't take offense where opinion is concerned. Your views are still valued.

I am happy you sold your knife, may the new owner find happy cutting, and may even become a knut.

You were happy with the price. He was happy with the price. No problems.

No, no. I'm doing it because I value this community. It's a worthwhile investment. :)

Back