Howdy from Oklahoma

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrisOK

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

This forum ws just recommended to me by a member of Blade Forums. I've been a knife collector for years, with somewhere over 160 folders, but have for some reason never thought about upgrading the crappy Farberware knives in the kitchen to something decent. I always find myself using one of my folders for the more serious slicing jobs while cooking. Well, the time has come to learn about kitchen cutlery and get something better. Not looking to invest thousands, but I'm sure that there is a happy medium between price and quality out there.

I'll try to use the search functions on the forum before asking any really dumb noob questions, but no guarenties :lol2:

Kris

:welcome2:

Welcome, Krisok. Here you can not only learn about high-end kitchen cutlery, but discover how to char-broil steaks in a sous-vide.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome!

Welcome! What part of Oklahoma?

I live just south of Oklahoma City

Yeah, I mean, I guess you don't have to spend thousands, but... ;)

LOL, well... The thousands have already spent on my personal knife collection. The wife let's me do what I want with my hobbies, but if I were to even suggest that we spend that much on a set of knives for HER kitchen..... She would have kittens!

I know that whatever I end up getting will have to come in a block, and will all have to be the same brand/handle style. What I have now is made out of 'Mystery Metal', (won't hold an edge for hardly ANY time) and I'm wanting to get something with higher performance steel.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, but I really don't want to come off as a total noob asking silly questions. I know that many forums want new folks to use the search functions first before blasting a bunch of questions. I've got a fairly good understanding of knife steel, but mainly as it pertains to folders and general purpose knives. Kitchen cutlery is still a total mystery to me. I'm starting at square one, and will be doing ALOT of reading.

Cheers!

Kris

Howdy from a fellow Oklahoman! I'm from Norman myself, though I don't live there now. Welcome. These folks here are all pretty good folks.

As for not spending thousands... well, you say that NOW...but... HA!

I'll have to visit some time. We can meet at a safe 3rd place if that creeps you out. But I have some buddies in OKC and plan to visit them within the month.

Back