Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making homemade bacon

Making homemade bacon

Made some homemade bacon last weekend that turned out great! I also cold smoked some cheese while the bacon was smoking, not wanting to waste any smoke.

Here are some pics.

I use a tube smoker made by A-MAZE-N products. It runs around $30 and can turn any grill into both a cold and hot smoker. It burns the same wood pellets that my pellet grill uses.

More pics and recipe here.

I have to say I am pretty happy with the results. If there is a coming bacon apocalypse I am all set to make my own.

Finally the word is getting out about the bacon apocalypse .
    and the meetings have changed to Thursday and it's pot-luck.

nice bacon by the way.
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Looks great, need me one of those tubes now!

Cure details?
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    Looks great, need me one of those tubes now!

Cure details?
    I am using tender quick, the recipe is in the story link below the pictures. That tube works great, a dollars worth of pellets gives me 7+ hours of cold smoke.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    That is awesome. I just wish I could find some reasonably priced pork belly, I would do that too.
    Jason

Awesome. I will have to look into that tube smoker.I've done Bacon before but not at home.

-AJ

Looks great! I had looked at the bacon recipe in the 'Charcuterie' book, but never got around to it, don't have the perfect equipment dor it either. Jason, I haven't looked for pork belly prices, but I sometimes don't buy pork in supermarkets because I find it is so cheap that it just cannot have been produced in any way that is healthy for the pig or for me... I'd rather pay a bit more and know where it comes from.

Stefan

Nice work! Once I'm out of this tiny apartment, I'll have to try my hand at making bacon

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    ...it just cannot have been produced in any way that is healthy for the pig or for me...
    The pig, the consumer, and all the people involved in the processing of that animal...but that's another discussion.

I just found some Morton's Sugar Cure, was looking for Tender Quick. This appears to be much the same, only with added sugar, which I like on bacon. I'm going to make some in the coming month. It also uses smoked spices of some kind, and even in the bag smells like BBQ already.
    BBQ Heretic

Quote Originally Posted by sw2geeks View Post
    I am using tender quick, the recipe is in the story link below the pictures. That tube works great, a dollars worth of pellets gives me 7+ hours of cold smoke.
    Shoot, dunno how I missed the link.
    I got a tube and some pellets on the way, can't wait to try my hand at this.
    Thanks!

For those of us looking to avoid the high cost of pork belly.... Check this out
    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...version-of-bbb

I tossed most of that section from the shoulder I made posole with last weekend, damnit!
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***