Quantcast
TW-90 Surface Grinding Attachment - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TW-90 Surface Grinding Attachment

Travis seriously makes some cool stuff. From the videos I've seen, it's an insanely quiet machine compared to others. Everything makes so much sense.

It is quite a bit more costly than the other grinders out there, but it's a big step up I think. So many good options in that machine.

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    one thing to consider is that the tw 90 comes complete, except for the SG. attachment. All other premium grinders that I am aware of, end up being close to the same price by the time you buy the basic machine. add a flat platen or large wheel, a small wheelattachment and several work rests, as well as a three phase motor and vfd that is bolted to the machine, wired and adjusted and ready to plug in and start grinding.

I think that you are less limited on the size of things that you can grind on the TW than with the same attachment on the Bader or KMG. As for precision, I would think that you can get pretty close, probably about as close as you can get to almost any surface grinder that has been converted to use belts.

If you are going to get a nice grinder, that's the one to get. The tracking is brilliant. It is a wonder why nobody has done that before him.

The only thing that anyone had bad to say about it at the ABS show was a bunch of old dudes who were acting like the SG attachment was cheating.

Then any surface grinder in general would be cheating too...? Mills also. Heck, grinders are cheating, because you aren't doing it by hand. Forget kilns and forges - that's an "artificial" source of heat. We have to get there ourselves through friction.

I don't understand that way of thinking

That's because you aren't selling 3" pocket knives for $3,000.

I like it, but how would it work on wider blades? Can it move up and down as well as side to side? I think it would do my head in having one machine that does so many different things, constantly retooling it.
    I forge taper my blades most of the way, saves allot of belts but thats not to say a surface grinder would not be very useful, I'm mainly thinking in parts of damascus making, and having nice perfect square sections for ferrules and endcaps etc.

Will, IIRC, on one of his vids, Travis is using a 2 1/2 inch wide serrated contact wheel from a Bader and drifting the belt back and forth. For me, this would be useful for damascus that I might want to sell and for my forthcoming stock removal tactical knives to knock the mill scale off of the bar stock and save a buck or two having it done by Aldo. It would also be nice for folders, but I would wonder about the precision with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    I like it, but how would it work on wider blades? Can it move up and down as well as side to side? I think it would do my head in having one machine that does so many different things, constantly retooling it.
    I forge taper my blades most of the way, saves allot of belts but thats not to say a surface grinder would not be very useful, I'm mainly thinking in parts of damascus making, and having nice perfect square sections for ferrules and endcaps etc.

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    .0005 tolerance is acheiveable with Travis' attachment.

I thnk thats precise enough for tactical flippers, flattening damascus billets and such, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burke View Post
    .0005 tolerance is acheiveable with Travis' attachment.