Cigars and coffee....OH YEAH

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stereo.pete

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

So I have recently found myself getting back into cigars, yep another crazy hobby. Anyway, my favorite drink to pair with a nice cigar is coffee. I know we have some coffee drinkers on the forum here and was hoping you could point me in the direction to a nice quality, albeit not super expensive french press that will make about 4 cups of coffee. I would also like some recommendations for coffee beans and online merchants of said beans as well.

P.S. If any of you are BOTL's (Brothers of the Leaf) let me know and we can talk cigars. About six years ago I dove into the deep end of the cigar hobby and amassed quite a collection but unfortunately I grew out of it and gave them away. I am seasoning my old humidor as we speak and enjoying a Arturo Fuente 858 Candela this morning with a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee, while listening to Neil Young :spiteful:

The problem with insulated french presses is they are a waste in the sense you are overextracting the coffee. Even with the french press I listed, after the 3-5 minutes extract time you should transfer the remaining coffee to another container. Coffee is never meant to spend more than 3-5 minutes in a FP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help guys, much love to you all for helping me with my vices/hobbies. I will report back once I receive the Bodum.

I used to smoke quite a few cigars, now I have pretty much relegated myself to golfing and fishing, neither of which happen very often and an occasional cigar on the deck with a good brandy. The last cigar I had though was an Arturo Fuente Opus XX which was absolutely fantastic with a couple of glasses of rum.

I used to smoke quite a few cigars, now I have pretty much relegated myself to golfing and fishing, neither of which happen very often and an occasional cigar on the deck with a good brandy. The last cigar I had though was an Arturo Fuente Opus XX which was absolutely fantastic with a couple of glasses of rum.

I proud to be an Arturo Fuente fanboy, and yes the Opus line is quite fantastic although my favorites are the Anejo's.

I smoke cigars every now and then. Usually on fishing trips and the like. However, I'm looking to start smoking them a bit more on just relaxing evenings. I'd like to get a humidor and start filling it up. I already have a taste for plenty of $10-$30 cigars that I'd like to start with. However, I'd like some suggestions for good cheap cigars that I can fill my humidor up with to smoke when I want to keep it cheap or to offer a friend with no real experience with cigars so I don't feel like I'm wasting $20+ on someone who can't enjoy it. Any suggestions?

Kyle,

I am glad you asked, I have quite a few suggestions as I too like to keep this hobby as economical as possible while not smoking dog turds.

Here's a quick list...

Arturo Fuente Cuban Corona's in both natural and maduro
Arturo Fuente 858 Maduro's or Candela's if you friend likes a mild to medium cigar
Padron #5000 or any cigar really from the standard Padron line
La Aroma de Cuba Corona's or Belicoso's

I smoke cigars every now and then. Usually on fishing trips and the like. However, I'm looking to start smoking them a bit more on just relaxing evenings. I'd like to get a humidor and start filling it up. I already have a taste for plenty of $10-$30 cigars that I'd like to start with. However, I'd like some suggestions for good cheap cigars that I can fill my humidor up with to smoke when I want to keep it cheap or to offer a friend with no real experience with cigars so I don't feel like I'm wasting $20+ on someone who can't enjoy it. Any suggestions?

JR's cigars (online) has a good selection of cheapie (seconds / their own brand) that can be pretty decent at a reasonable price. My godfather smokes these on a daily basis and I have had a few of those over the years and they are a good bang for the buck.

If you like maduros, I have found Belisco's and Bolivar to be good and El Rey Del Mundo to be exceptional.

I recently picked up a couple of Rocky Patel's but have not had a chance to smoke them yet.

Easy: Illusione Chuchillos Cubanos
I like the 4.5" x 46 size. They sell in packs of 5 for under $20.
The best budget smoke I have encountered.

Cigars and coffee are a match made in heaven. I get my coffee in 5 lb. bags from coffeebeandirect.com and buy something that's medium acidity, full-bodied and usually city roast. I'm not too picky.

Because I only drink coffee in the a.m. and smoke cigars on the deck when weather permits I usually have a medium bodied smoke. Cubans include Montecristo 2's or Partegas Shorts. Domestics include Padron maduro's, some Fuente products -I'm down to my last few Hemingway maduros- or whatever looks good in the humidor.

I enjoy a cigar and a coffee, a perfect pair.

If you want a really cool and easy hobby, and like to control the outcome of your product, then get one of these:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/drum-roasters/behmor.html?source=grid

You'll never have to pay for fresh coffee and shipping fees again, plus green coffee is half the price. They even start you off with 8 lbs to experiment with.

Don't do cigars, but the roaster would have been my next gadget if you hadn't made me buy that sous vide thingy ;)

Stefan

AAAHHH YES, cigars and coffee. AF's have been a favorite for many years. After a hard day of grinding blades there is nothing better that hitting the hot tub with an AF and Remy Martin VSOP.

As far as coffee I still do the old fashioned stove top esspresso w/a Bialetti stainless and then whip up a cafe cubano. Enjoy with the stogie from the day before. Usually get my coffee from Caracolillo Coffee Mill in Tampa http://www.ccmcoffee.com/ . Great products and phenominal service.

Even though AFs are a favorite I have to say that the maduro I like the most is the Ashton Eclipse VSG. This is one really GREAT smoke. Full bodied, strong flavor, easy draw and actually gave me a head rush!

Hasta,

PZ

Cigars and coffee are great, unfortunately I don't have the time or place to enjoy a cigar nearly often enough these days. Cigars led me to pipes, which became a bigger hobby than cigars once were. A pipe and tea is also a good pair. You have inspired me to dig through the humidor for something good to end this week.

Get a Bodum press pot, the best choice in my opinion.

AAAHHH YES, cigars and coffee. AF's have been a favorite for many years. After a hard day of grinding blades there is nothing better that hitting the hot tub with an AF and Remy Martin VSOP.

As far as coffee I still do the old fashioned stove top esspresso w/a Bialetti stainless and then whip up a cafe cubano. Enjoy with the stogie from the day before. Usually get my coffee from Caracolillo Coffee Mill in Tampa http://www.ccmcoffee.com/ . Great products and phenominal service.

Even though AFs are a favorite I have to say that the maduro I like the most is the Ashton Eclipse VSG. This is one really GREAT smoke. Full bodied, strong flavor, easy draw and actually gave me a head rush!

Hasta,

PZ

mmmmmmm, ashtons! Also, in love with anything Graycliff but, especially the Emeralds.

As much as I love my coffee, how about cigars and whisky? Match made in heaven if you ask me :doublethumbsup:

been enjoying cigars for years, and pipes nearLy as long (i too followed the natural progression..."to save money" hahaha yeah that worked out well!!

limited editions aside, my favorite morning cigar is an El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme (via Habanos SA) and my favorite Evening cigar is a Ramon Allones Double Corona. tho I usually have to sit down smoking one of them - STRONG!

so many amazing cigars available from not just Cuba, but Nicaragua (Padrons are among my favorites - and their Anniversarios rival nearly any high end cuban stick there is IMO) Hoyos and Punch from Hunduras, Dominicans (the Fuente Hemingway line and of course the Opus dominican puros speak for themselves) and the list goes on and on. also so many new brands I've never tried (I haven't bought a new cigar in at least 8+ years or so, just have em aging)

as for coffee, I fell into that rabbit hole too. ordering greenbeans from sweetmarias.com and roasting my own, using vacuum brewers etc. alas I was a coffee fiend and after some insane anxiety and mood swings etc I decided to give of the heavy duty coffee drinking. will occasionally have a cup here and there... mostly out of the house.

love loose leaf teas.

now, for me, the best beverage mix with cigars is scotch... except in the morning, most days lol and a little taste of chocolate (dark or milk) with a decent cigar is a really nice match too!

My go to list for cigars includes:
AF Hemingway Signature, natural and Maduro
Ashton VSG
Ashton ESG
Ashton Cabinet
AF 858 Maduro
AF Anejo!!!!!!!!
Anything Padron
La Aroma de Cuba
Tatuaje

Also, in terms of coffee grinders, what do you recommend is a good brand that won't break after a couple of uses?

People, especially coffee fiends will scoff at this, but buy a cheap whirly grinder if you are only going to do FP. IMO, the only time you really want to spend some coin on a good grinder is if you have the money to do so, or are considering getting into espresso.

People, especially coffee fiends will scoff at this, but buy a cheap whirly grinder if you are only going to do FP. IMO, the only time you really want to spend some coin on a good grinder is if you have the money to do so, or are considering getting into espresso.

I scoff at that and fart in your direction. Going from a Krupps whirly grinder to a PITA retro KitchenAid burr grinder made a quantum leap taste improvement in cheap drip machine.

Ordered the Bodum today, I will wait for arrival of it before I place an order for some Red Bird Coffee, thanks again guys, you are the best!

Back