Quantcast
Cigars and coffee....OH YEAH - Page 14
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Cigars and coffee....OH YEAH

I bought a bag of organic Kona coffee from Costco, I want to say it's about a 2.5-3lb bag for 14.99 so I doubt it is legit.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

That sounds like the Kona blend they sell here @ Costco. There's no regulation on the % of beans that is required to be in any Kona blend. Not that it matters any if you like it. The only Costco I've seen with 100% kona was at the Kona Costco.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    That sounds like the Kona blend they sell here @ Costco. There's no regulation on the % of beans that is required to be in any Kona blend. Not that it matters any if you like it. The only Costco I've seen with 100% kona was at the Kona Costco.
    Dave, 10% seems to be the general number for those "blends"especially at under $12 a pound!!! Years ago, we could score Blue Mountain in Miami for a semi reasonable price, but now that over 80% of it goes to Japan, it is not easy to find even down where. I think that last time that I saw any at Publix here in Tampa was around 98 or 99.

I buy small bags of Kona Beans,grind per drip cup in wirlygig,store remainder of beans in vacuum seal container.I have found that buying small batches of beans works better as that rich flavor gets less after a week even using whole beans.

Yeah, but you can get the stuff at the local diner!! But seriously, I am no coffee nut, but I have heard that if you buy them "green"/unroasted, the beans will last longer. anyone know about that? Oxygen is the enemy as it is in many caes. The notrigen pressurized cans of ground Illy have a shelf life of 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    I buy small bags of Kona Beans,grind per drip cup in wirlygig,store remainder of beans in vacuum seal container.I have found that buying small batches of beans works better as that rich flavor gets less after a week even using whole beans.

Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I am such a loser - one week without my wife and I still haven't fired one up. Grrrr.
    BTW, I picked up the kona blend at Costco too. I am not really sold on it yet. It has a good flavor but is pretty light for my taste. However, it made a pretty decent rub for a ribeye, you just can't flare it up on the grill too much. First try was a faliure because of the flare up - second try, I put a cast plate between the meat and the flame to much better results. next time is going to be on a cast iron pan.

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    I am no coffee nut, but I have heard that if you buy them "green"/unroasted, the beans will last longer. anyone know about that?
    I still haven't gone down the path of roasting but some of the other guys here do. I think Jason is roasting his own beans and there was a coffee thread in the past. I haven't tried any blends in years but I used to drink a Kona/Costa Rican blend that was mighty tasty.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    I still haven't gone down the path of roasting but some of the other guys here do. I think Jason is roasting his own beans and there was a coffee thread in the past. I haven't tried any blends in years but I used to drink a Kona/Costa Rican blend that was mighty tasty.
    I do roast my own beans! Green beans will last at least a year if kept at room temperature and low moisture. Many people vacuum pack them and freeze them to last for many years. Roasting can be cheap or sky is the limit on machines. I recommend a Behmor for the starting roaster. Easy and within reason for price.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    I do roast my own beans! Green beans will last at least a year if kept at room temperature and low moisture. Many people vacuum pack them and freeze them to last for many years. Roasting can be cheap or sky is the limit on machines. I recommend a Behmor for the starting roaster. Easy and within reason for price.
    Boy your roasting area must smell good.On average how often do you roast your beans?A while back I visited a friend in Arizona,went to a coffee house that had a large roaster as a centerpiece,the smoke somehow he directed to the street,I thought that was a great idea.

+ Reply to Thread