Quantcast
addict? - Page 11
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: addict?

Does it feel as thick as it seems?
    When I get home, I'll take calipers to my favourite gyuto to compare, but that seems like it could be a bit of a fatty (or workhorse).
    Thanks for the measurements!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Well, I got mine yesterday w/o a handle. I took a bunch of measurements so here we go: Blade height @ heel - 55mm, cutting edge length - 240mm, spine thickness @ heel - 2.3mm, spine thickness midway - 2mm, spine thickness 1" from tip - 1.27mm, blade thickness 5mm above edge - 0.5mm, weight of blade w/o handle - 148g.

Haven't decided what to do about a handle. I bought a handle from Stefan a couple of months ago and was originally going to use it, but I think I'm going to save it for something else.

194g does seem a tad heavy (at least comparatively to most lasers), no? But, he does refer to it as a "workhorse" I guess....

I'd love to hear someones thoughts post taking it to the stones...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I'm not trying to defend this knife (I think it looks a little awkward/ugly), but I do have some questions about why people have been calling it thick. I'm still totally new to Japanese knives and I'm waiting on mine to arrive, so I don't have a good sense of the geometry of these knives yet. Looking at profile shots of this knife and Hiromoto AS knives, don't the Hiromotos seem thicker to you? And everyone seems to love those. Or for example, Maksim just posted a profile shot of his Yoshikane gyuto, which looks similar to this and he said the geometry was excellent. Looking at the measurement for thickness of the blade between the spine and edge, this knife is barely thicker than a Konosuke 240mm gyuto, which is considered a laser (it's thicker by .2mm than the Konosuke). Is that .2mm going to make a huge difference?

Again, not trying to defend this knife, and I'm not even interested in buying it either. I'm just trying to get a better sense of how geometry is likely to affect the cutting and why people consider one knife thick and another one to have great geometry if the numbers are similar.

I'm not bashing the knife at all. I have no reason to. But, 2.75mm spine thickness is pretty girthy...not super thick, but for me, it's more about the 2.55mm halfway down towards the tip. That, is closer to what a heel measurement should be. There doesn't seem to be a lot of distal taper at all, which will make the already stubby tip less usable (in theory).
    I'm not sure about the grind (spine to cutting edge taper), as I haven't yet measured a knife that I consider very nimble.
    I will reserve judgement, and give it the benefit of the doubt.
    I'm keeping in mind the fabled Aritsugu type a isn't exactly a supermodel either. This could very well be an excellent knife for the price. I'm going to sit back and read the reviews, and let the people who are actually using the knife tell the story, instead of just numbers. They are after all, just numbers.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Wow, never seen that knife until now. It looks like an exact copy/profile of the Watanabe gyuto. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    Looks good except I think the tang looks extremely narrow for this size of knife. Not sure that will impact any performance though, more of an aesthetic issue maybe.
    I noticed that too. Looks awkward. Maybe should have been called 'Pencil Neck Knife'.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    Wow, never seen that knife until now. It looks like an exact copy/profile of the Watanabe gyuto. Interesting.
    Here's both the Watanabe (blade) and Richmond Addict (knife). You be the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I'm not bashing the knife at all. I have no reason to. But, 2.75mm spine thickness is pretty girthy...not super thick, but for me, it's more about the 2.55mm halfway down towards the tip. That, is closer to what a heel measurement should be. There doesn't seem to be a lot of distal taper at all, which will make the already stubby tip less usable (in theory).
    I'm not sure about the grind (spine to cutting edge taper), as I haven't yet measured a knife that I consider very nimble.
    I will reserve judgement, and give it the benefit of the doubt.
    I'm keeping in mind the fabled Aritsugu type a isn't exactly a supermodel either. This could very well be an excellent knife for the price. I'm going to sit back and read the reviews, and let the people who are actually using the knife tell the story, instead of just numbers. They are after all, just numbers.
    Oh yeah, I wasn't implying that you're bashing the knife. I definitely don't think it's a pretty knife to look at (especially with that strangely thin tang that people have already mentioned). I just wanted to learn a little more about knife geometry. I see what you're saying about the spine. The midpoint does seem thick relative to other knives I'm looking at. I still don't quite know how to tell if it's going to be a thick knife that's going to wedge a lot from looking at its choil, since the choil looks like a lot of other knives I've seen so far. That's really the part that I wanted to learn more about.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Does it feel as thick as it seems?
    When I get home, I'll take calipers to my favourite gyuto to compare, but that seems like it could be a bit of a fatty (or workhorse).
    Thanks for the measurements!
    Don't get too hung up on spine measurements; the spine on my Takeda gyuto, which is considered by most people to be an excellent cutter, measures 4.10mm at the heel, 2.65mm at midblade and 1.25 mm near the tip. It's generally the grind behind the edge that determines performance.