Quantcast
addict? - Page 17
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: addict?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Steel choice is rather personal as well.
    Sure it is when you have to decide between one characteristic versus another such as fine grain versus wear resistance. However there is nothing CM154/ATS-34 does better than VG-10. It rusts more easily, its slightly harder to get a great edge on it and it doesn't hold an edge as long. Its only advantage is that its easier to get a hold of in the US.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Some food for thought.

Knife making is like eating out - you can have a meal in a small restaurant ($$-$$$) or a large cafeteria ($-$$) where you have many economies of scale.

A friend of mine (a member here) told me once something that stuck with me for the rest of my life. He said "out of three things - price, quality, and customer service, you get to choose two". So each of us decides what is important to each of us.

M
    As person who deals with automation regularly, I only partially agree with this. It really depends on how you define quality. With the proper economies to scale and automation, you can have all three. Lexus is a case in point. When it first came out it, was better in almost every way compared to German brands. Better service, better price, and better reliability. The only thing that car enthusiast complained about was that the cars had no soul.

The one thing that you can't get with price, quality, and service is customization. Automation by definition precludes a level of customization. If you want something that is slightly different, you are SOL. That is what craftsman like you bring to the table. Its the differentiation that makes you special. We get choices of material, shape, and finish. Its the variability while still maintaining quality that provides the soul to the a craft. When I see something that you guys make, most of the time, I can tell who made it. Its the style that makes you guys worth more.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Well said Rockbox!
    Although, it would be hard to argue that the quality isn't higher as well. I'm not saying mass manufactured products can't be great, but in general, a skilled craftsman, like Marko, Pierre, Devin, Butch, etc will have superior products, with more soul.
    After handling certain products recently, I would have to say, I'll be paying the premium almost always, from now on.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I'm not arguing that a mass produced knife is better quality than the stuff the knife makers here make. I would be stupid to do so. It was more a philosophical comment. If there were a market for 200K Kramer Chevron Damascus knives, I'm sure some company could make them with tighter tolerances than Bob could make them for far less money. The problem is that there would be another 199,999 knives just like it in the world and most of you guys wouldn't want it.

I know you weren't, I just wanted to make that little point clear .
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias504 View Post
    https://www.randazzokingcake.com/

The best king cake in NOLA. They ship, too.
    Yeah, you right!!!

However, the second best is at Ernie's Bakery in Springfield, La.

+ Reply to Thread