Quantcast
Moving out from parents, need new knives
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving out from parents, need new knives

Moving out from parents, need new knives

My and my wife are still young (under 30s) and we bought a new house to finally move out of my parents house, and of course this means we have to invest in everything including knives

I had my eye on Tojiro DP series, wanted a 8'' chef, pairing knife, utility knife and a bread slicer sometime after if I like the knives.
    However I just recently found this forum and quick search came up with lots of replies about quality of the knife going gown and that they're prone to chipping, this worries me a bit.
    Looking at online retailer, the 3pc set is $140 which I think is great price, but if I have to watch out how I cut, to not chip the the knife on chicken bone, I'd rather bump the budget up to a $300 and get a better quality.
    I'm new to cooking, I love it, but as you can imagine I can't stretch my wing in my fathers kitchen
    I'd prefer western handle, stainless steel or anything that wouldn't make me worry about rusting.
    My father has 8'' Wusthof Classic Slicer that I enjoy cutting with, no proper Chef knife in this kitchen
    Could use some help.

Congrats on the new house and welcome to the forum!

So let's get this started. A few more questions first - do you know how to sharpen? what kind of cutting motion do you use(push cut, rock, chop)? what kind of cutting board do you have?

Thank you,

I have never sharpened a knife in my life, nor do I know how to cut properly.
    I recently started getting more into cooking and cutting, and I moved from pointing grip to a pinch grip, it actually feels pretty comfortable and I think I have more control with pinch grip.
    No cutting board either, will have to invest in one after we move.

welcome!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Welcome and congrats on the new house!

Welcome to the forum.
    I just want to make a remark about the chipping issue you are talking about.
    That comes from improper use of the knife mainly, for example you can't chop bones with a guyto.
    I hope you are not coming with expectations of knives being tools that do not need any care, and that they will just work on their own. If that is the case you will be disappointed, if you are however into sharpening and cutting stuff , and like sharp edges then you are going to enjoy some high quality knives, like the rest of us.

I have been thinking this would be a good first knife to try: Tojiro DP Damascus 180mm Gyuto. It is short enough to fill the Chef knife and utility knife roles. It is also inexpensive. I would try something like this and get an idea for what your preferences are. Save the money from more knives and get a cutting board and a decent saute pan. And welcome!

Welcome! Get a boardsmith board a gyuto 210-240mm and a tojiro itk bread knife.

just buy Victorinox knives, and a decent wood board. really. unless you want to be like us. which you don't. because it would make the knives more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    just buy Victorinox knives, and a decent wood board. really. unless you want to be like us. which you don't. because it would make the knives more expensive.
    not just the knives, but everything that comes with maintaining them. I'm sure that the majority of us have at least $200 in sharpening equipment. anyways, I would agree with the posters above in that you'll want a nice end grain board (maple or similar), a gyuto, tojiro ITK bread knife, and maybe a cheap victorinox paring.

To keep the gyuto and paring sharp, you'll want to have some whetstones and something with which you can flatten them. For flattening, the DMT XXC would work great. For stones, I would go with either a king 1k/6k or a bester 1200 and a suehiro rika 5000. Let's estimate the cost of these to run from $120-180 depending on whether you get the combination stone or the bester and suehiro.

There are several really good gyuto options for beginners - the artifex from chef knives to go, fujiwara fkm, the aforementioned tojiro, hiromoto g3, and akifusa. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. These knives range in cost from $70 to $200.

Assuming you get the cheapest of the gyutos (the artifex), you'll still be paying for the sharpening equipment ($120), the tojiro ITK ($65), a victorinox paring ($5), artifex ($70) which comes out to be a whopping $260 and you'll still have to get the board which can run another $80-100.

If the price scares you a bit, get away from here as quickly as you can before you are afflicted with our addiction. There's nothing wrong with getting a nice wooden board, a kingstone and a set of victorinox knvies. If you learn to keep them sharp and maintain them, you'll have better knives than 90% of people out there.