Quantcast
Moving out from parents, need new knives - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving out from parents, need new knives

As usual, we will overwhelm our new member with choices; that said, let me put in a good word for Togiharu. I'm playing with the Korin passaround, which is a G1, but the Inox line (stainless) at 210mm is only $120. For that price, Togiharu does very well in performance, fit and finish, profile, geometry, and balance.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    not just the knives, but everything that comes with maintaining them. I'm sure that the majority of us have at least $200 in sharpening equipment. anyways, I would agree with the posters above in that you'll want a nice end grain board (maple or similar), a gyuto, tojiro ITK bread knife, and maybe a cheap victorinox paring.

To keep the gyuto and paring sharp, you'll want to have some whetstones and something with which you can flatten them. For flattening, the DMT XXC would work great. For stones, I would go with either a king 1k/6k or a bester 1200 and a suehiro rika 5000. Let's estimate the cost of these to run from $120-180 depending on whether you get the combination stone or the bester and suehiro.

There are several really good gyuto options for beginners - the artifex from chef knives to go, fujiwara fkm, the aforementioned tojiro, hiromoto g3, and akifusa. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. These knives range in cost from $70 to $200.

Assuming you get the cheapest of the gyutos (the artifex), you'll still be paying for the sharpening equipment ($120), the tojiro ITK ($65), a victorinox paring ($5), artifex ($70) which comes out to be a whopping $260 and you'll still have to get the board which can run another $80-100.

If the price scares you a bit, get away from here as quickly as you can before you are afflicted with our addiction. There's nothing wrong with getting a nice wooden board, a kingstone and a set of victorinox knvies. If you learn to keep them sharp and maintain them, you'll have better knives than 90% of people out there.
    a king combo is a good idea.

As mainaman said, nicer knives actually require more care and skill. If I were you, I'd get a 210mm gyuto, a petty or paring knife (the difference is that paring knives are usually below 100mm), a Tojiro ITK bread knife.

You may want a honesuki if you cut a lot of chickens/things with bones. You can cut around bones with a petty or paring knife (which are also great for silverskin, ballotine, etc.), but for a knife that can take abuse, you want a tough honesuki. If you contact Jon at Japanese Knife Imports, he has one that I really like that's not listed on his site. It's $65 or so. I love mine for anything where I would feel nervous using a more delicate knife.

You have good recommendations for the gyuto, petty, and bread knife (get the Tojior ITK at Chef Knives To Go or at Cutlery and More, which I think is cheaper by just a few bucks). I'd go cheap if I were you and didn't want to turn this into a full blown hobby. As James said, you'll need a flattening plate for when your stones wear down from sharpening. Jon at JKI sells one. There's the DMT XXC. Or the Atoma 140 grit plate. I think I'd go with Jon's because of price and because I typically trust Jon when it comes to knife related things.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    welcome!

The 210 Artifex is on my wish list too!!

OK, my brain is steaming from information from you guys and from what I've been reading in the meantime.

So here's some more info, I like Tojiro Dp series, because you can match everything in that set, yes, I know I shouldn't say it, but matching the look is important to me, and I see that Fujiwara FKM doesn't offer pairing knife or Bread knife.
    Also from reading here it seems that if I don't take Tojiro to hard things or glass cutting board then I should be fine with chipping issue ?
    Maybe I would try the waterstone sharpening, I'm watching tutorials on chef knife to go website and it seems that if I would get a hang of it than I could get some decent results

may I ask one more question ?
    How would the german knives like Wusthof Classic or Henckel Pro S compare to Tojiro DP series ?

the Tojiro is a Subaru WRX STI to the Wusthof Ford Ranger.

I agree the Tojiro is a great step up from the German stuff. But be prepared to outgrow it quickly. I had Wusthof Gran Prix and Henckel 4 Star stuff for years until I jumped into the j-knife rabbit hole. I got a Tojiro Nakiri and 240 Gyuto and it was all over for me. That said, now I am to the point that I am going to sell the Tojiros because it's time to upgrade. Since the Tojiros I have picked up an Artifex and a Miyabi 7000 MC, wow another order of magnitude up from the Tojiros for me and I have another awesome knife on it's way to me as we speak. (Thanks Dave!)

Quote Originally Posted by toyopl View Post
    Maybe I would try the waterstone sharpening, I'm watching tutorials on chef knife to go website and it seems that if I would get a hang of it than I could get some decent results
    I think you may get better results by watching the videos on Jon's site...JKI.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Welcome and keep an eye on the for sale forum, you can probably get a good deal from someone who knows how to maintain a knife (aka a member here).
    Jason

+ Reply to Thread