Quantcast
So...how many then? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So...how many then?

14 knives, 4 stones (synthetic), and 3 strops. I have a couple other nicer knives I'm not counting since I don't plan on keeping them.
    Taylor

13 knives
    Here are some of the stones I have (pic taken 7-8 months ago), I think I sold 2-3 and added may be another 7-8 of the naturals.
    Some of my synthetics are not displayed, I have added 5-6 new ones since the pic was taken.

Nineteen knives, fifteen stones. 4 shigefusa, 2 hides, 1 kato, 2 catchesides, 2 takedas, 1 mizuno, 2 JCK AS series, 1 hiro as, 1 tojiro, 1 aritsugu, 2 zensho. Stones: shapton glass, shapton pro, kitayama, chosera, naniwa, Ohira suita, atogayama, Hakka, red aoto, blue aoto, DMT.

I regularly use 4 knives! Wow I didn't realize what a hoarder I was, and I was going to buy more! Maybe I will have to rethink? On second thought, probably not!

3 gyutos + 2 paring knives + 2 faux mini debas + 1 bread knife + 1 honesuki + 1 cheapo 210 suji = 10 knives
    Two more coming from Marko
    Like Eric, I'm surprised I actually have that many. I only regularly use 3 or 4: 2 gyutos, paring knife, bread knife.

3 Gesshin stones + 1 worn diamond plate + a bunch of fingerstones, naguras, mini DMT's...= 5 stones?
    One fresh diamond plate that I need to pick up from the mail.
    That's not counting my razor stones...

1 strop from Marko.

So 16 pieces total I guess.

Knives = 13 (1 sujihiki, 6 gyuto, 3 petty, 2 paring, 1 bread knife), with 2 more (another gyuto and petty) coming.

Sharpening = 4 stones, 1 plate, various strops/compounds, and an EP Professional with a number of attachments.

I may pare my collection down once I settle on a few favorites (need more time with all of them before I can say).

My collection rises and falls constantly. At the moment Ive got 5 gyutos, 2 pettys, 1 suji, 2 cleavers, 1 bread knife. 5 stones, 1 DMT.

At the moment 12 knives and 1 double sided stone .

Maybe it is time to buy new stones.

6 knives, 6 stones, 3 natural, 3 synthetic, leather strop with white rouge. I always like using more, but that's all the functionality I need for my mediocre cooking skills and I can get the blades sick sharp in a hurry with that lineup of stones. A few of the stones I only use for repairs. I use cheaper synthetics for the coarser grits as those wear out quickly and have some nicer naturals in the 4000 and 8000 grits and a small very fine hard Arkansas I keep near the sink for quick touchups like a hone.

Before the break in and the Health problems I had over 340 or so, most of them vintage and antique. What wasn't stolen was sold to pay medical bills or given away (over 120)
    I have 18 being made or refurbished (7 by Spike, 3 by Randy for refurbs) from various trades over the year. lol
    I have 8 odc waiting to be posted for sale, 2 being sharpened at Korin, I have like 11 in pass arounds or having sayas made by Eamon.
    Right now the only knives I actually have is a Del Ealy paring knife and a 240mm Del AEB-L gyuto.

Stones
    1 Kitayama from Heath with Antique Nagura
    1 Dragon's tongue 10 in x 3 in x 2in
    1 "LLYN MELYNLLYN" giant stone 10 in x 3 in x 2in
    1 king 1000/6000
    1 Jadeite finisher
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Hol....holy mackerel. 340?!?!

Wow!!!

+ Reply to Thread