Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead Squirrel Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I mean I don't like it when my daughter found that chunk of dog poop in the backyard either, but I told her to put it down and washed her up.
    Which is what this guy should have done. Instead he had to pull out the camera and video her rubbing it all over herself. Even if the dog killed a "healthy" squirrel, it still is a potential source of disease and parasites, so why put your kid at risk so you can make a "funny" video? There's a big difference between letting a child learn about hunting by letting her examine a deer and letting a child rub her face on a dead animal. This little girl got encouragement to go out and cuddle the next dead animal she finds--not exactly a smart thing to teach your kid. The dad needs a quick kick in the nards.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Cute video. But agree that Dad's time would have been better spent with a thorough hand washing session.

Tragedy here is how the dog has been bred out of that dog.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I'm not sure why but I want to kick the crap out of the "dad" with the camera. A little respect you soft, desk sitting, pastie faced yuppie.
    I will say that the Dad filming it all is weird to me too. Permission to kick the crap out of him.

With that said, the reason I posted it (on top of drinking a tad too much while watching the election results come in) was that I read the comments under the video and everyone was either ok with it or horrified by it it seemed. There was very little in between. Even the people I sent it on to were equally divided with strong opinions either way.

I'm still ok with it. I tend to think this is a one-off event brought upon by circumstances and the child probably won't continue to seek to play with dead animals or develop long-term ideas ideas of life and death based upon this episode. Also, the parents would probably handle the next dead animal situation differently I bet. That's my guess, but maybe I am wrong and they are both douche bag parents too.

I have an ex-wife that teaches my eldest daughter to be afraid of EVERYTHING, and in this situation she would have ran shrieking at her full of fear, whisked the girl away, applied several rounds of cleansing and bathing, worried about it a lot, and then eventually went to the doctor. Sure the casual attitude of the parents might not be the best approach, but the worst would be to overreact in the other direction IMO.

Now I am going to go play with a dead frog

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    mmmm frog legs. Well maybe not.
    Chewie's the man.

Now I am going to go play with a dead frog

k.
    I found a frog behind our dryer one time. The heat and dust bunnies turned it into a dessicated mummy frog.
    Can't remember what I did with it though.

To go a bit further off topic....
    I was reading a while back about a niche industry using the tails from road kill squirrels to make high end paint brushes.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Does anyone eat squirrel on this forum? I met a guy at a bar in MN who loved squirrel and was giving me recipes (which I have forgotten). I know in the south they eat it. Didn't Bourdain have it in one of his shows?

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Does anyone eat squirrel on this forum? I met a guy at a bar in MN who loved squirrel and was giving me recipes (which I have forgotten). I know in the south they eat it. Didn't Bourdain have it in one of his shows?

k.
    I went to borrow a raft from a guy last year who was chewing on a roasted squirrel on a stick. Didn't ask for a taste.

Just remember if you cook up those squirrels you don't want to eat the brains, or you'll get "Mad Squirrel Disease".

Our completely disabling aversion to anything dead is a pretty unhealthy byproduct of a sanitized, consumer driven culture. It's sort of the end result of the nation being driven by selling things through envy and jealousy.

That said, squirrels can be pretty nasty. I'd want to know why it died first. But there's nothing you can do if your daughter acts like an insane person sometimes. Mine do.

Any man with a toddler has had that time that they reach up and grab your junk through your clothes and you jump and they realize they've got a way to pester the crap out of you. It's a fun game for them for a little while, and you can't help but laugh at how unprepared we all are for raising children. Why are we all born complete whackos?

k.
    My dad used to eat it regularly when he went hunting. They might not have been able to bag a deer, but they were hard on the squirrels.