First Friction Fit Custom Saya

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miketayl0r

Reaction score
Poplar wood, dyed and lacquered.
2qkjqbt.jpg

9gm2ac.jpg

fkr66w.jpg

xfun9k.jpg

friction fit on a Kanehiro 240mm Gyuto
i2sytk.jpg

Interesting choice on the dye, but the construction is solid!

Looks great, Mike! Both of your sayas that I've seen have made me go. Hmmmm...ringer(?) ;)

First, ehhhh?
When my first of anything looks like that i might change my career!
Looks very nice!

+1
My goodness, you have great woodworking skills. What type of wood is it made out of, if you don't mind me asking? :D

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yeah I've been experimenting with different dyes and lacquer on Poplar wood. I think I've decided to just go the natural wood route, and buy some premium wood from one of the vendors on this forum.

Another saya I just finished.
Friction Fit saya on a 240mm Takeda Gyuto
9rq6uo.jpg

18hz80.jpg

Nice work. I see you're also using a saw rasp. Those things make this process soooo much easier.

Interesting choice on the dye, but the construction is solid!

Poplar generally has a green tint naturally, and I think it gets stronger with age. So the dye is just sort of giving this one a jump start imo.

Nice job! Did you intend to carve it in addition to laminating it, or did it just end up not fitting without a little adjustment? My Shig did that to me, I had to alter the interior of the sheath to get the tang to fit without stressing the wood.

Good Job.

thanks! means a lot. have my eyes on some flaming redwood!!

Nice job! Did you intend to carve it in addition to laminating it, or did it just end up not fitting without a little adjustment? My Shig did that to me, I had to alter the interior of the sheath to get the tang to fit without stressing the wood.

thanks! yes i did intend to carve it prior construction! through trial and error i found this works best, only having to make minor adjustments after construction to get a solid fit without stressing the wood or choking the tang.

They look fantastic dude!! I wish my first one came out that good!!

looks super clean, does the edge touch the inside?

Back