Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha cookin for Turkey Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    No one stresses out and everyone gets to relax. Sounds great to me!
    Exactly!

-AJ

we don't like turkey....so I make a huge pot roast (a braise really) every year: 6 lbs of english chuck roast, 10 lbs of red potatoes, 5 lbs of carmelized onions, 5 bulbs garlic, 2 bunches celery, about 1/2 gallon chicken stock, thyme, blonde roux, cayenne pepper....

takes about 6-7 hours to cook @280F. can cut it with a wooden spoon and serve (and a ladle for the sauce!).
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

we should never have invited you all to dinner.lol stuck with you for 400 plus years. Go Home! The parties over! Take your crap with you, leave the women, booze and the knives! Skeedaddle!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    we should never have invited you all to dinner.lol stuck with you for 400 plus years. Go Home! The parties over! Take your crap with you, leave the women, booze and the knives! Skeedaddle!
    Hilarious

Our family tradition, for the past 3 years anyway, is to have Tri Tip for Thanksgiving dinner. We make 3 for the family and we have very few leftovers. Everything else is pretty much the same as other folks'.
    BBQ Heretic

No idea, but we have a bigger kitchen now and are out of the apartment, so I would really like to bust my ass and make a Thanksgiving dinner worthy of Norman Rockwell this year. If I had 15 people over and I was cooking for 2 straight days, I'd be pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    Woman with booze and knives...do I get to stay?
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
    We actually started our thanksgiving about a month early... However, some things that is easy in the states is not as easy in Sweden
    Invited some friends that we got to know when in Philly.

Anyway,
    Cooked turkey Alton Brown style. Wanted to see his perfect turkey youtube. Not open for sweden. Had to log on to the company US network to fake sitting in WI.
    Roasted sweet & normal potatoes, swedes and carrots
    Made gravy from sherry, brown bits and juice from turkey
    Roasted brussel sprouts
    Steamed string beans
    Salad
    Apple sauce from the neighbours apples
    And for the grand finale; homemade cranberry sauce. Now cranberry sauce may not seem like a big deal to you, but they are not available fresh in Sweden. Thus i got a friend to go to a shop and get two bags which promptly got overnighted with UPS to Sweden!
    Didn't know Alton Brown youtube and cranberries aren't available in Sweden... Man, such determination! Overnighting cranberries via UPS to Sweden must have been crazy. But I don't blame you, I love cranberry sauce too. Ugh, drooling at the sound of your meal. Everyone is recommending Alton Brown. I apparently really need to look into his recipes.

I am incredibly anti-turkey, so I usually do something very different. Last year I did a beautiful grilled tri-tip slice thin on garlic bread with chimichuri sauce. I have no clue what I am going to do this year, honestly I probably won't do much of anything due to my job. I will be at work at 12:00am Black Friday morning..YAY!!!!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    No one stresses out and everyone gets to relax. Sounds great to me!
    Wait, wait. Thanksgiving is only Thanksgiving with stress....

I went all out two Thanksgivings ago and it wasn't a true holiday until I got so pissed off that at the family table I raised my hand, extended my middle finger and said "F you" to some people at the table...then I tromped off with a bottle of wine. Good times.

With that said, I would love to make sausage this year, but I don't think I will get to it -- and I am not experienced in making sausage. The sausage I would like to make is duck with grand marnier soaked orange rind and veal with grappa soaked golden raisins. Some guy in NYC makes these and he refuses to ship them to MN now.

I also make a Norwegian rice pudding called risengrøt.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson