Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whatcha cookin for Turkey Day?

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    ...it wasn't a true holiday until I got so pissed off that at the family table I raised my hand, extended my middle finger and said "F you" to some people at the table...then I tromped off with a bottle of wine...
    Yeah, that's more like what I remember! Except later after my dad, my grandad, and the family doctor (a friend of the family) got well and truly stewed, they'd invaribly do a really bad rendition of "I love you truly."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqCWWuEzFus
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

I'm cooking this year. My townhouse is too small to host, so I'm using my parents farmhouse. Gonna cook for my 12 cousins, two grandparents, four aunts, three uncles, mom and dad, brother, sister-in-law, nephew, cousins three kids, and my girlfriend.

Menus is:
    22 lb turkey
    Whole goose
    Grilled pork chops
    Regular thanksgiving fixings ie; dressing, cranberry sauce, candied sweet pots, mashers, roast corn,
    Lots of bread, haven't decided on what yet, but at least four different kind of loafs
    Mussels in green and red curry
    And a wired family tradition, hot dogs (for the adults as well as the kids)

And I have a mead, and a barleywine about to be keged.

Desserts are being done my my girlfriend, I'm not sure what she's doing yet.

Oh, and I'm doing a batch of special squash and pumpkin dog treats for mine and my parents dog. I make my own treats, and always do something holiday themed for them to enjoy while being kicked around under the table while beging for scraps.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

So, I still haven't had my Thanksgiving meal -- that comes tomorrow evening. I went pretty traditional this Thanksgiving. As a mini-Thanksgiving this evening, though, we had duck breast, which is one of my daughter's favorites. The big meal tomorrow includes:

* Apple and Bacon Stuffing
    * Mushroom and Tarragon Gravy
    * Baked sweet potatoes
    * T. Keller's asparagus w/ bacon ragu
    * Homemade cranberry sauce
    * Turkey (deconstructed, brined, then deboned, and roasted)
    * Lefse from the grocery
    * Mom's apple pie that she is bringing, and pumpkin pie from the bakery.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Didn't feel like going to one of the bigger meals, just made it a quiet day. Had a slice of pizza with turkey on it for lunch, does that count? Fresh bread is cooling down, there will be some nice cheese, prosciutto, truffled pate, marinated shrimp and other things going with the bread later, maybe I'll open a bottle of nice viognier with it.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    We are going out to eat. Probably a buffet.

-AJ
    Not as good as I had hoped. I just don't like Southern Thanksgiving fare. One good thing is that I never over eat on Thanksgiving down here. The fried chicken was better than expected though.

-AJ