Quantcast
Is sharpening a necessary skill to keep a decent working edge?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is sharpening a necessary skill to keep a decent working edge?

Is sharpening a necessary skill to keep a decent working edge?

Most people I know don't sharpen their knives. Let's say I buy a decent knife with a working edge, and take good care of it (soft cutting board, washing separately, keeping dry, storing safely, no abuse).

If I don't use a sharpening stone, how should I best keep that edge? Regular honing on a rod, and send it for sharpening every couple months?

I'd make a new knife
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

For softer steel knives like any German knives, a sharpening rod would help get back the blade. Not as much as using a stone, of course, but enough to be useful. For any asymmetrical knives (70/30, 90/10, etc etc), I highly recommend using a stone or having someone else sharpen it for you. Reason being, you spent the money for the asymmetrical blade, using a honing steel will ruin that bevel. There are ways to effectively hone an asymmetrical blade, but asymmetrical blades also tend to be made out of a much harder steel, so it won't be much sharper even if you use a honing steel.

I hope that makes sense... If not, feel free to message me. I'll be happy to help. lol

A loaded strop would be my choice to keep you going between trips to the sharpener. Cheap and I think faster and easier than learning how to use stones.

I take that back. I like Lefty's idea.

Yes, unless you happen to make knives...
    one man gathers what another man spills...

My experience has been that what most people post for sharpening frequency is more often than actually necessary or required. I'm not saying wrong. I can push my knives for months. The edgewise not as great as a fresh edge but at say 60% of starting sharpness still quite usable in the kitchen.

If you didn't want to do it yourself and cost was a non-factor then yes, I would say sending knives out for sharpening every few months would be reasonable.

-AJ

Awesome, thanks for input everyone. I knew honing rods weren't that great for knives of high hardness, but never thought about the asymmetry.

And Tom...

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I can push my knives for months. The edgewise not as great as a fresh edge but at say 60% of starting sharpness still quite usable in the kitchen.
    Do you do any sort of touch ups?

Realistically, you could easily maintain a kitchen knife with a 5 or 6k stone and not have to worry too much. A guy like you would be able to sharpen as well as any of us in now time.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com