links for store locators

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty

Reaction score
searching the interwebs I cannot find really any local stores that carry the high end stuff I see on this site. I want to touch and feel some ideas before I shell hundreds to a website I have not dealt with.

Is there a link or locator to window shop these? I want to make sure I am comfortable with a wa handle in a pinch grip, stuff like that.

Suggestions?

dont know of anything in MA personally... but i'm sure a lot of east coasters here can recommend some places

searching the interwebs I cannot find really any local stores that carry the high end stuff I see on this site. I want to touch and feel some ideas before I shell hundreds to a website I have not dealt with.

Is there a link or locator to window shop these? I want to make sure I am comfortable with a wa handle in a pinch grip, stuff like that.

Suggestions?
Good luck with your search. There is a few retail stores that carry some knives, but not anything like what you see from JKI, Korin, ect.. There is always William-Sonoma and some other kitchen store.

Unfortunately, there are seldom brick and mortar places that carry most the knives we obsess over. Most of us just rely on word of mouth, reviews, and trial and error.

Sorry,

p.s. is there anything in particular you are looking at?

Right now the moritaka 240 supreme gyuto. My first venture away from my lamson goodnow, so wanto to make sure I will be happy with what I get. Never used a wa handle before, and curious if the leap away from western traditional is going to be a whole new ballgame.

Korin in NYC is probably the closest actual retail store close to you. If you are concerned about the feel of a wa handle, maybe handle a Shun. They are kinda wa-ish. I would hang out here for a while and ask some more questions, etc.
Being a member of this forum is a whole new ballgame. You'll learn more than you thought there was to know!
Why are you leaning towards the Moritaka? Price? Looks?
Some here might advise against Moritaka.
There is a VERY long thread here about why.

Oh and welcome to KKF!

If you go to NYC, just head down the road a couple of hours more to Fleetwood, PA and see Dave. Sign up for one of his sharpening classes.

k.

Budget is certainly a concern just diving in. Having the wife buy it for me for xmas. From what i have seen so far the moritaka seems to be the best and coolest to get an entry into a performer and something to keep me excited each time I need to take some veggies to task.

Any direction to this link that craps on the mritaka? A summary of the dislikes? Should I be better off with a simpler masamoto VG or HC?

Thanks for the link! Getting closer. F&F will also be important. One of the reasons I wanted to touch what Im buying. Seem to be leaning masamoto CT or HC. Now determining if I should pick a happy medium with the hardness, or just go Ct and be careful.

Im all over the place

I think you should give Jon at Japanese Knife Imports a call, you can't go wrong with anything he will sell. Korin sells Masamoto, if you that is what you are wanting, they are quite helpful, try calling and discussing what you want. Good luck with the search and welcome to KKF.

Back