Best Stone for Stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalaeb

Banned
Reaction score
I try to get by with as few stones as possible. Currently only a 3 stone progression with a few coarse stones for repairs.

For carbon I am using Shapton Pro 2k, Gesshin 5k, and Kityama 8k (for the home knives) and this progression works well for me.

However, I am finding that as well as the Gesshin works for carbon steel, it does not do much on stainless.

The question then is, what is the best mid range stone for stainless steel (CPM154, AEB-L)?

Any help would be appreciated.

the Rika works fine on stainless, in my opinion.

Have you tried giving the G5k a short presoak or generating a little slurry? It's not the fastest but I use that stone on stainless, no problem. Of the 5k's out there, Chosera isn't my favorite but it can be used as a splash n go, if that matters to you. I really like the Rika but if you don't mind soakers, my favorite in that range is the Gesshin 4k.

+1 on the gesshin 4k cuts crazy fast, leaves a sharp but toothy edge I love that stone, cuts stainless and carbon both very well.

I can raise a burr on most quality stainless wt. Bester 1000.Except M-390 some say they can sharpen it on stones,more power to them,I need a daimond plate to cut that steel.

I really like my Gesshin soakers 2K,8K.They are great wt. carbons.I only sharpen my own knives with them.Other's I use Atoma 600,Bester,Rika.

I do not really need another stone,but if I did it would be the Gesshin 4K soaker

Matt,
Path of least resistance.....Eze-Lap EF 1.2K then DMT 8K. Fast, clean, no dressing or lapping, DONE.

PZ

That's what Devin would say, as well.

I get nice results with a Suehiro 6k, and I'm sure the Rika is just as good, if not better.
DMTs are cool and all, but I always worry about wearing mine out when used for anything other than flattening/lapping a stone.

I get nice results with a Suehiro 6k, and I'm sure the Rika is just as good, if not better.
DMTs are cool and all, but I always worry about wearing mine out when used for anything other than flattening/lapping a stone.

ive been using a dmt xxc for over a year, have used it a lot for lapping as well as major repair jobs and thinning etc of mine and my coworkes knives... still cuts extremely fast i think itd take a really long time to wear it out, plus if you get an atoma it should last even longer.

Yeah, my Atoma is <1 year old, and it's tired and lazy now. But I beat the living crap out of it.

I think the thing I like most about the Rika 5k is how it does on stainless. I think you have a lot more options with carbon steel, but if you are doing single-bevels or stainless, I like the Rika at 5k. I have not been satisfied lately with the edge the Rika leaves on carbon steel lately, and have been following it up with a Sigma 10k. I often wonder if this is because I am just a home cook now and am getting the over-polishing disease.

Ever thought about Choseras??

I had the Naniwa Chocera 5k stone, that stone awesome on carbon steel, but on stainless, it was horrid. Stainless steel knifes felt duller after sharpening on the 5k Chocera.

Got better after switch to the 6K Sigma Power ceramics

Over polishing disease:knife:What's that!Mirror edges look cool but don't last when you start using the knife.I have had two 5K Rika's I like that stone alot.

At the price I prefer the Gesshen's over Chosera,Just my preference,I know alot of people like the chosera's.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I may try my luck at a Gesshin 4 or 6, plus it usually gets gift wrapped for free from JKI, lol.

Paul, the busier I get, the path of least resistance seems like more of a plan every day, although sharpening is still a zen thing for me. When I get to where it feels like work, then the diamond plates are quick UPS ride away.

Call me a shill if you will, but ever since I bought my Gesshin's I have not only improved my sharpening but I have no desire to ever try another stone except maybe a natural. Thanks Jon for providing some serious stones!

P.S. I have the 400, which is an absolute must have, then I picked up the 2k and the 4k. They are all equally amazing stones for what they can do.

The 6k is a very, very nice stone but the 400-2k-4k series is a cut above.

Back