Pics of a tool festival in Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the link didn't work :(

I came across with groups that intend to educate people know about Japanese traditional tools at random places in Japan, too. I don't know if the ones I saw and the one you read about are the same, but that's very cool..

Ones I saw were demonstrating how traditional Japanese wood working tools work, and they were at temples, shrines etc. Their events that I saw were all very interactive, and they allowed people coming by to try using those tools.

Looks like you had a great time there :) Thanks for sharing! I already miss being in Japan!

neat! easy to spend a paycheck there....

I don't know if the OP was there, but I was.

Wasn't planning on it to be honest, but I was able to take the Saturday off from my day job so we all piled into the car, took the coastal road from home here to Naruto, jumped across on the bridge and drove through Awaji-shima, stopping at 'England Hill'. Food was less than stellar, but there was plenty of other things to do and see there and we all had a good time. Off to the hotel (penshon) which was very nice for both sleeping and breakfast in the morning, then into the car again, stopped at an artists village type of thing before skipping into Miki for a few hours.

As far as 'one of each', nope. You could not physically carry enough cash to buy one of each, just too much stuff. A small gymnasium filled with all the 'proper' tool and knife makers, all I bought were a pair of garden snips for mum-in-law. Walked out with a bunch of stuff though, kids got plied with cookies and snacks (as always), my son spotted a small plane he really wanted, I tried to talk him out of it (because the price tag was US$80), he really wanted it, so the fellow who made it gave it to him as a present. That was slightly annoying, but kind of expected I suppose (Tsunesaburo made the plane).

Then we came home. I missed out on my Starbucks coffee, which I only ever buy on the way home after the big bridge between Kobe and Awaji-shima because the line was out the door, which was annoying. But other than that, a pretty good weekend. Got some video of folks making chisels, but no other real pictures. I'm kind of 'dulled' to this event because I've been there 3 years in a row now and not that wowed by it any more. Lots of stuff though, but all I worry about is speaking to folks I know or need to know and getting out of there.

And tomorrow is the annual kezuro-kai in Ehime. That's the one I really want to get to, even though the one person I wanted to see (actually two of them) won't be there as the younger fellow (Tasai, chisel maker) cut his Achilles tendon and is still healing up. Never mind, plenty to see and do and there will be plenty for the kids to do as well.

That is all. I suppose next year I better take some more pictures...

Stu.

Oh my goodness! I'm so jealous. I'm glad it looks like you had such a great time. :D

Sorry, could I ask you what the Kezuro-kai is?

Sorry, could I ask you what the Kezuro-kai is?

A wood planing contest.

A bunch of folks from all over Japan get together somewhere every year (alternates between east/west each year, this year west) and try to plane a shaving from a piece of wood that is intact and very, very thin.

More information here (Japanese); http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~tac7/kezuroukai.htm

Usually they're for folks who work with wood or just play with it to have a little fun and friendly rivalry, but tomorrow is the national 'championship' so is a little more serious.

I'll be making sure I take video and pictures. ;)

The funny thing is that usually the shaving from a plane is garbage, annoying waste. The by product of a 'good' shaving is that the wood surface left behind is flawless. But for these events, the shaving is everything and nobody cares about the wood at these events, only the 'waste'.

Stu.

Ok i start to post some pictures from this year Kezuro-kai :)

As usual i get updates what happens there with some pictures.

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

OOOO!!! Thats so cool! :D

I'm looking forward to seeing videos. I'm very curious about this festival.
My mac doesn't want to let me read anything on the website. Oh well, thanks for trying to link me though. :<

Back